Anyi virus software for windows XP pro 64bit

G

I've just built my self a new PC & decided to load XP-64 bit . my other PC & lap top have ordinary xp & Norton anti-virus but when I went to load Norton onto the new one I discovered it does not support XP pro 64 Any suggestions of which anti virus software to go for ?

Panda internet security, they will give you a 30 day trial to evaluate and decide if you like it. Panda IS safe, and will not slow the computer down like other security systems.

DO NOT download any "free" antivirus- you have been warned. This is the surest way to render your computer FUBAR. Do not download any "system cleaners" you have been warned. There is a hidden catch to ALL "free" anti virus downloads. DO NOT fall for it. Remember, I told you so.
Now I wonder why that sounds suspiciously like SPAM? There are plenty of good free anti-virus products. The free editions of Avast and AVG both support 64-bit Windows and are very good - certainly much better than Norton. Likewise there are some very good free registry cleaners - CCleaner for one.

Thanks for letting me know about Panda. One more product to avoid! I just hate SPAM.

On the contrary, there are a lot of reports of free software destroying operating systems, it's a fact. Your going to need to live with that fact.
There are lots of reports of paid software, such as Norton, destroying operating systems. So what?

To label all free software in the way that you do is plainly ridiculous. It is exactly the sort of technique used by spammers; if you are not spamming then I apologize. But please try to tolerate people who think differently than you and don't label all free software in this way.

What my politics have to do with anything I'm not sure, but they're a little to the left of Obama. I think it's the Republicans, the right-wing, who tend to have a problem with the concept of free software. I come from the UK and we tend to avoid the extreme right in politics. I'm probably what you guys would call a "commie"!

You may well have helped many people on these forums, but you are not helping anyone now by suggesting that they need to pay for good anti-virus software.

I think that's all that I have to say to you.

I've just built my self a new PC & decided to load XP-64 bit . my other PC & lap top have ordinary xp & Norton anti-virus but when I went to load Norton onto the new one I discovered it does not support XP pro 64 Any suggestions of which anti virus software to go for ?
You may find this comparison of antivirus products useful. Both Avast and AVG are rated fairly highly and support XP64. (Although these reviews are of the pay-for versions, the free versions use the same scanning engines.)

I was just talking to someone who loaded AVG, it wiped his operating system, he's trying to salvage whats left of it.

Some people may ask themselves why these "free" antiviruses are being offered for free. That's cause there's a catch to it. The free programs can steal personal information, plant spyware and advertising, corrupt the operating system, and lunch your hard drive.

PT Barnum said "there is a sucker born every minute" and he was right.

Tell whoever you were talking to, not to download AVG from a 3rd party joe schmo website. That's how you get an infected AVG.

AVG wouldn't be my first choice for an AV, but it's still better than most. There's nothing wrong with a free AV if you get the right ones.

I think you're being charitable. The answer of that poster to almost every query is "use Panda anti-virus software". I wonder why?

TRENDING THREADS