[SOLVED] Anyone able to help identify why my PC is freezing?

Feb 13, 2020
My PC runs great when it does but it crashes almost certainly after a while. Most of the time under 70-80% CPU load. I recently upgraded from GTX 1060 -> RTX 2060s btw

My specs/components I've tried are:
EVGA BQ 600w & I tried a CWT PSU
i5 8400 w / Intel stock cooler
Gigabyte Windforce 3x Gaming OC RTX 2060 Super & Tried a MSI 1060 3gb
1tb WD HDD
120gb WD SSD
2x8gb Corsair Vengeance 2400mhz XMP ON
MSI B360m Bazooka
4 Case fans

My issue is after a little bit, faster under high load my PC will freeze up completely. No sound, no input and no video. GPU temp is ~60 and CPU temp is ~73-80.

I've tried the following:
Clean Windows Install 2x
Clean Nvidia drivers using DDU x2
Tried 2 different RAM kits, 2 different PSUs and 2 different GPUs
Flashed newest BIOS
Tried XMP ON and OFF
Tried memtest86 and prime95 for only about 20 minutes

I'm new to PCs and really out of ideas. I thought it might be heat related?
Any help would be awesome!

Solution
First, the error code:

1a1 indicates a hardware problem. There are other codes, 193, that if found in the logs, indicate similar problems.

Second, the PSU/wattage calculation:

The PSU is a critical component and if the PSU is unable to provide or otherwise keep up with system power demands all sorts of problems can occur. May be gradual and intermittent at first but become more prevalent as the PSU degrades.

Verify: the current PSU (EVGA or CWT) now being 600 watts - correct?

Add up the wattage requirements for all installed components. If a wattage range is provided for a component use the high end wattage. Once you have a total wattage add 25% more. How close is that final wattage total to 600 watts?

There are also...

Ralston18

Titan
Any error codes or warnings in Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Is that 120 GB SSD your boot drive? How full is the SSD?

And take a close look at the power demands of your system: a 600 watt PSU may not really be up to the required load.

Feb 13, 2020
Any error codes or warnings in Reliability History and Event Viewer?

Is that 120 GB SSD your boot drive? How full is the SSD?

And take a close look at the power demands of your system: a 600 watt PSU may not really be up to the required load.

View: https://imgur.com/a/dC2E5Rv
there's a link of some of the errors I saw pop up most. My OS is installed on the SSD and it has 26.5gb free. The GPU box reccomends 550w. Is there a better way I can calculate that? Thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
First, the error code:

1a1 indicates a hardware problem. There are other codes, 193, that if found in the logs, indicate similar problems.

Second, the PSU/wattage calculation:

The PSU is a critical component and if the PSU is unable to provide or otherwise keep up with system power demands all sorts of problems can occur. May be gradual and intermittent at first but become more prevalent as the PSU degrades.

Verify: the current PSU (EVGA or CWT) now being 600 watts - correct?

Add up the wattage requirements for all installed components. If a wattage range is provided for a component use the high end wattage. Once you have a total wattage add 25% more. How close is that final wattage total to 600 watts?

There are also online calculators that can help you tally up the wattages. Try two or three of them as well to find a consensus value.

Yes, the GPU's manufacturer provides a recommended PSU wattage. I use that wattage as a starting point even though the GPU may indeed not really demand that much power. For the most part, if your computer does not have at least the recommended PSU wattage then the GPU manufacturer can refute any issues accordingly.

(And remember that even if the PSU's listed wattage numerically meets the specs the PSU's quality must be taken into account.)

Overall, I believe that your PSU is a prime suspect with respect to the problems being experienced.

Take a look at the wattages and post accordingly.

Solution