Anyone actually got Win10 to install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamisama

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Been trying to install Win10 for about 8 hours.

The install will fail, then the updater sees fit to re-download the entirety of Win10.

After that it will get stuck in an "Checking for Updates" loop for 2 or 3 hours. For the grand finale it fails the install and restart the whole process from the beginning.

I don't want to install from ISO as I have no idea how to make sure its activated.

Solution
Used the tool and installed it on my little Winbook TW802. Hate it on here. It's not the greatest thing but i needed a cheap mobile version of windows besides a laptop. I rolled back to windows 8.1. It seems to work better with touch than W10. Will be reinstall 7 on my laptop from the Tech Preview and then upgrade, grab my key, downgrade, and then dual boot.

SethS

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Nope, I got it to restart and get to 32% done but then STUPID razer cortex or whatever popped up and crashed it. Now I have to redo it all. there goes 5 hours. Ill reply again i f I get it done.

Your best bet is to just WAIT as there are glitches and the site is probably overwhelmed.

My update FAILED so I followed instructions starting with DELETING the update downloads content but I don't have the link. I also can't confirm if it works (still downloading) and if it did that wouldn't mean yours would work.

*If it fails for me I'm going to simply wait a WEEK and try again since it's not like I really need it.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
ISO isn't working for me. Getting an error on reboot that's crashing the update. And even from the ISO there's a ton of download and reconfig it wants to do. The suggestion to wait a week...for me...isn't that useful. This thread shows the problems I'm having:

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/7789-error-0xc1900101-0x20017-when-upgrading-build-10162-a.html

What I'm going to try is, disable the BT; the error in my setupact file is audio related. And I'll disconnect my network drives, just in case. Those are both easy enough to reactivate. Oh, and I uninstalled SpiderOak, a local and cloud-based file mirroring/sharing tool. I don't need it on that system at this point.

Sloppy upgrade, but on the flip side, it rolled back to Win 8 with no problem.

Ranjha Singh

Reputable
Jul 29, 2015

You might not want to install from ISO as it does not activate I installed first from windows update and then did clean install now my windows does not activate and yes I used Microsoft account

my laptop with windows 8.1 received the update today it took more than an hour but it installed ok and no missing data, bad drivers or program issues. i still haven't got the update for my windows 7 desktop though. i was debating just upgrading with the ISO but im hearing there may be issues down the road when MS starts validating installs

Kamisama

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Third time was the charm.

Didn't do anything different.

KVBEmKP.png

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
I have one last thing to try. I had McAfee...BIG!!! mistake. Uninstalling via Control Panel doesn't come close to pulling it....its damn management console was loading, and running, and running HEAVILY...25% CPU use. Give me a damn break. So, turns out you have to d/l this McAfee removal tool...it's horrible too. 20 minutes??? 30 minutes??? Something ridiculous. It's not done...it's at, it appears, the last step. Looks stuck. AWFUL!!!

IF this ever finishes, as I say, one more shot via the ISO...or if it's getting too late, I may try doing it one more time through Win Update.

And if that fails...I will be really ticked off. And might just say the hell with it and buy Pro...considering I think I want to update from Home anyway, I don't think I'm quite *as* shafted as I might be.

gangrel

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2012
Nope, it was giving me the same error, ISO or update. Hit the first reboot, die with a typical meaningless error message. Searching the error code, this wasn't new; it was reported by the Preview participants.

I said, heck with it. Bought a Pro license, did a clean install. McAfee NEVER fully uninstalled; that was the straw that broke the camel's back. McAfee's continuing presence may well have been a factor in crashing the upgrades, and at that point McAfee itself counted as an infection in my book. I don't think I had any choice in the end.

EDIT: to finish the story, the clean install went perfectly...the SMALL glitch was user error. Had to tweak the boot ordering, of course, to install. It restarted on me, with the USB stick still in place. Oops. :) Stop that, restart, tweak BIOS again, continue from SSD.

Do gotta say, I prefer 10 to 8.1 by a WIDE margin. DON'T like that Edge wants to put all these *@$$!@# news feeds and web sites *on my home screen." GO AWAY. I don't WANT that junk until I want it. It just slows everything down.

jediTT

Honorable
Feb 8, 2014
Right after midnight launch I ran "wuauclt.exe /updatenow" from an elevated command prompt and it started my update. Everything installed fine. Been running smooth since I updated all my drivers and a few programs.

Used the tool and installed it on my little Winbook TW802. Hate it on here. It's not the greatest thing but i needed a cheap mobile version of windows besides a laptop. I rolled back to windows 8.1. It seems to work better with touch than W10. Will be reinstall 7 on my laptop from the Tech Preview and then upgrade, grab my key, downgrade, and then dual boot.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS