Anyone compared thermal readings for closed case against opened case?

hunted22

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hi all..

I'm buying a new case, and I'm between one that has a side panel with a 140mm fan and no vents except the the 140mm for the fan, and another case with an all-mesh side panel with a 140mm fan. so this last one is almost like you don't have a cover on the side of your case. and both of the two cases have almost the same cooling and maybe everything except for the look.

I'm wondering if anyone tried to see if the heat level is better when the components of the PC is in contact directly with the room air while the case fans pushing air at them, or when the case is closed and the only air entering the case is through intake fans, and leaving only through outtake fans.

I'd try it myself but my PC is currently down and i'm using my laptop.

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
in my experience if you open side door on case temps will go up thou nothing much to care.
Other issue and reason i personally like closed PC cases is dust. I have 2x 120mm fans sucking air in front and 2x in back sucking out. front uses filter witch i clean every few weeks. there is no dust inside case at all, compared with my other case.

InvalidError

Titan

I like filtered front/bottom intakes too. It really is a shame that there are almost no cases with more than two filtered intakes but a plethora of cases with 4-6 exhaust fans. For optimum dust management, it needs to be the other way around: 4x filtered intakes with 1-2x exhaust.

Its not rocket science here, if your PC runs cooler with side of the case off, then you obviously have a problem with your case fan configuration.
If you simply have the case open, that does nothing to move air into, around, and out of the area, a good fan configuration with the side of the case in place will do a much better job of getting the heat out of the case than simply opening the side.

InvalidError

Titan

Side panel off is a great cooling configuration when using a 14" external fan or a box-fan "side-panel"!