[SOLVED] Anyone doing actual (small, private) LANs anymore? What are you playing? Give me feedback!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Background: myself and another guy used to host a LAN about once a month years ago (2002-2010ish). We played games like COD1/2/4, C&C Generals, Soldier of Fortune II, Battlefield 2, etc, etc. However, it has been quite some time and the overall gaming landscape has changed quite a bit in that time from more local/single player to online/multiplayer focus.

Any actual LANs these days? Looking for feedback from people actively hosting and participating in small events.

Is everyone playing some form of an online multiplayer version of a game that might be better played as LAN-only?

Any recommendation on web-hosted servers (multiple game titles or packages, etc)?

How are you handling distribution of software? (this one can be a bit touchy by forum rules, so if there are any questionable methods, let's save those for personal conversations)

I'm looking for ideas for PC games that work great and hold up well for a current-day LAN, including any ideas that might be unexpected. Preferably games with minimal price (or free) and have a lot of re-play value.

Network will be gigabit switched with gigabit internet access, but would prefer most if not all games to be able to be limited to the LAN group and managed by the LAN group.

Thank you in advance for feedback and ideas.

Solution
Aside from Minecraft, I don't even know of any recent games that a player can host a "server".

I haven't done so since my Diablo II days. I do still have great memories of fragging a guy across the quad and two floors down in DoomII Death Match mode during my military dorm days. I'm pretty sure Warcraft II was played via Battlenet.

That's pretty much the extent of my LAN gaming.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Aside from Minecraft, I don't even know of any recent games that a player can host a "server".

I haven't done so since my Diablo II days. I do still have great memories of fragging a guy across the quad and two floors down in DoomII Death Match mode during my military dorm days. I'm pretty sure Warcraft II was played via Battlenet.

That's pretty much the extent of my LAN gaming.

-Wolf sends

Solution