Question Anyone else getting high temps with the 10700k not running ocs with watercooling?

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
from a short run of r15 i get 87c as a max and it sets around there during the test. my temps are super spikey as well goes from 27 c to 50-60 from just small tasks i have the cooler master lc240e im thinking maybe i didnt get enough thermal paste on the chip. but would like to check if this is normal first.

I am getting very good temps but it would be good to get a baseline. Run CinebenchR20 and give me your max temps reached at the same time run HardwareInfo latest version and also check what your voltage hits at max so look at the vcore reading not VID and report back.

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
I am getting very good temps but it would be good to get a baseline. Run CinebenchR20 and give me your max temps reached at the same time run HardwareInfo latest version and also check what your voltage hits at max so look at the vcore reading not VID and report back.
i reapplied thermal paste and got it down to 77 but it seems to have not done much

Temps going from 27C to in the 60's instantly is perfectly normal, as the temps do indeed jump instantly commensurate with core voltage increase/clock speed increase....(this has been normal for many years)

77C under a heavy all-core load is not bad...

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Temps going from 27C to in the 60's instantly is perfectly normal, as the temps do indeed jump instantly commensurate with core voltage increase/clock speed increase....(this has been normal for many years)

77C under a heavy all-core load is not bad...
I'm use to ryzens and older i5s where if your temps above 50c you gotta have something wrong. My cooler also don't go on very tight before the stand offs run out of thread on the screw that goes to the crossmember thing on the back could it be I'm not getting it tight enough to spread out the paste and transfer heat very well cause I never really feel warm air blowing out of the radiator so it's not transferring heat very well after the reapply I feel a little bit of warmth to the air now though.

It all depends on workloads. Where ever you got the above 50 degrees is not right as the max temps for Intel's are at 100 degrees C! Of course you would never want your CPU hitting that but in gaming 50 to 60 degrees is normal. In bench testing with Prime95 small FFT's and Cinebench R20 you can hit 70 to 80 degrees at stock settings. The CPU can handle 80 degrees happily as well...It just depends on cooling and whether you have overclocked.

I have the same CPU running idle at 31 degrees C and max temps in CinebenchR20/Prime95 small FFT's hit the mid 80's degrees C. Though at 5.1GHz all core...

It would be good to get a better look at your temps. Could you run something like CinebenchR20 so it gets a full AVX workout to see what max temps hit. Also what is your Idle temps.

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
It all depends on workloads. Where ever you got the above 50 degrees is not right as the max temps for Intel's are at 100 degrees C! Of course you would never want your CPU hitting that but in gaming 50 to 60 degrees is normal. In bench testing with Prime95 small FFT's and Cinebench R20 you can hit 70 to 80 degrees at stock settings. The CPU can handle 80 degrees happily as well...It just depends on cooling and whether you have overclocked.

I have the same CPU running idle at 31 degrees C and max temps in CinebenchR20/Prime95 small FFT's hit the mid 80's degrees C. Though at 5.1GHz all core...

It would be good to get a better look at your temps. Could you run something like CinebenchR20 so it gets a full AVX workout to see what max temps hit. Also what is your Idle temps.
R20 is what I was using my last tests first tests max was 77 2nd test was 81 max scoring 4800. I have a aorus board and at one point there was a option for gaming mode but I think I put it on normal mode. So it should be stock I want 5.1 on all cores is there a option I can just turn off or do I have to just sync all cores to 5 1 and raise the voltage every crash? Then I'll get back with temps

I am running a Gigabyte board so it may be a bit different. For me it was as simple as turning of Multicore Enhancement, changing the multiplier to 51, changing LLC from Auto to Turbo and then playing with vcore until I found the lowest stable vcore which happened at 1.295v.

Asus are slightly different as you might need to remove some limits but there are plenty of guides that should help you. the Overclockers Forum have a thread on the 10700K specifically..

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-i...7-10700k-results-comparisons-discussions.html

Max for me is 5339 and 88 degrees C though I am using a good 360mm AIO...

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
I am running a Gigabyte board so it may be a bit different. For me it was as simple as turning of Multicore Enhancement, changing the multiplier to 51, changing LLC from Auto to Turbo and then playing with vcore until I found the lowest stable vcore which happened at 1.295v.

Asus are slightly different as you might need to remove some limits but there are plenty of guides that should help you. the Overclockers Forum have a thread on the 10700K specifically..

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-i...7-10700k-results-comparisons-discussions.html

Max for me is 5339 and 88 degrees C though I am using a good 360mm AIO...

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
1295?? My last test had a vcore of 1332 or am I getting something wrong. I am work right now or I'd figure the overclocking out I was able to get a stable 5.2ghz out of my I5 7600k so I should be good

The link I sent you will give you a good idea as to the spread on vcore across the 10700K. Some have even lower than me and others cannot get 5GHz at less than 1.35v!

The thread on Overclockers is very good as there are some great people on there who help you get the most out of your CPU and there are quiet a few with ASUS boards...I am using a fixed vcore...

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
The link I sent you will give you a good idea as to the spread on vcore across the 10700K. Some have even lower than me and others cannot get 5GHz at less than 1.35v!

The thread on Overclockers is very good as there are some great people on there who help you get the most out of your CPU and there are quiet a few with ASUS boards...I am using a fixed vcore...
at 1.295 i crashed instantly and 1.325 crashed last second 1.35 seems to be stable though and had a max temp of 90c scored 5160 too. Ig it is a 60 dollar water cooler so i should give it a break. idles around 30-35. i also just hit the ratio to be 51 so its just locked 5.1 all the time

mark9442606

Prominent
Oct 27, 2018
Yep better cooling will help a lot. Also the Ring ratio should be dropped to around 47 and that might give more stability at a lower vcore.
dont mean to come back to this but i switched thermal paste from the paste that came with it to thermal grizzly mx4 and it thermal throttles even at stock settings any ideas? i spread it out to be a thin layer i just pushed hard down on the pump and moved it around a lil trying to spread it and i dropped to a 91c max with stock settings but it should be way better than that