Question Anyone else has coil whine with ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming?

Mar 29, 2022
Hi guys. I am struggling with my new computer for quite a while now because that thing had significant coil whine right from the start.

Because all components were new and I didn't have easy access to replacements, it took me quite a while to figure out the exact source of the issue.
I first assumed that it was the GPU, then I suspected the PSU, but after replacing both and testing a lot, I now know that the source of the coil whine is the motherboard (ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming).

Here is a short video for anyone who is interested to hear some nasty coil whine: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bVwPX2y826nZQDhQ9

The coil whine only occurs during gaming and high load. It is significantly louder on higher FPS rates, and interestingly also much louder with a RTX 3080 than with a RTX 2060.
I assume because there is simply more power flowing through the mainboard then...

However, before I RMA it and get a replacement, I wanted to ask if anybody else here also has the same motherboard and similar issues.
Because I am wondering if this is a general issue with the ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F or if I was just very unlucky and got a faulty board.

Mar 29, 2022
Have you tried turning vrm spread spectrum on/off? Or a different vrm frequency?

Thanks for the advice, but no, I didn't do that.
To be honest, I don't know much about overclocking and how to set perfect voltages, frequencies etc.
So I would have to familiarize myself with this topic much more before I could confidently change any frequencies in the BIOS or know what a VRM spread spectrum even is. ;)

But I am wondering if those adjustments should even be necessary on a properly working mainboard? I mean, I did not overclock anything and mostly use the BIOS default settings with quite common standard hardware components (Seasonic TX-1000 PSU and ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060).
So I would have expected this setup to work out-of-the-box without such issues.

But if you think those BIOS adjustments could help I will surely gladly have a look at it.

On your board they are very small adjustments and quite frankly will have very little impact on the operation of your motherboard. However, it may quiet it down a little, but not make it disappear. The problem with modern motherboards now is that the vrm's are getting so massive because of cpu advancement and power draw, that something has to give, and I believe it is the whine from the vrm's, which is the amount and frequency of power draw needed to operate. If you go in to bios, AI Tweaking, DIGI & VRM, go to Cpu Vrm Switching Frequency, make sure that is enabled (it probably already is), then go to Vrm Spread Spectrum, enable that or set to Auto you can play with both, then go to Active Frequency Mode enable that. See if it makes any difference.

Mar 29, 2022
I got my hands on another mainboard (MSI Carbon Z690) and replaced the ASUS with the MSI, but the coil whine is still there.

So, I can confirm that the motherboard was not the issue.

I am really running of out ideas now, since I already switched the motherboard, the GPU, and the PSU.
The only thing that I did not switch is the CPU...

Mar 29, 2022
Line conditioner? Maybe you just have dirty power.

But would such a thing like dirty power not affect every other computer in our house as well? I mean, I had no issues with my old computer (who stood at the exact same place where the new one is standing now), and my wife's computer (standing in the room next door) doesn't have any issues as well.

This issue is really driving me crazy for quite some time now. I have no idea what else I could try except from replacing the CPU and see if this has any effect.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not necessarily. Every circuit is going to have its own switching frequencies, components, and design and all those factors could contribute to an audible frequency.

There may also be a noisy device on the same circuit causing line interference.

Not likely, but possible.