Anyone else have this problem?

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
After installing the Detonator 3 12.41 drivers for my GeForce2 MX, my computer seems to be convinced that it has two monitors. Whenever I remove one of them in the Device Manager, Windows Me detects it again the next time I reboot. Anyone know what's going on/how to fix this?

FatBurger

Illustrious
I don't know how to fix that problem, but I do know that a lot of people have problems with the 12.41's, especially with MX's. Try different drivers. Crashman said that the 6.31 works the best with MX's.

------------------------------
My Athlon can beat your Ferrari off the line.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
That was what the orginal Radeon drivers did in W2K which use to cause alot of problems, since then that problem has been fixed. Interesting it is now occuring with the newer Nvidia drivers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I prefer the 6.31 for speed and stbility. Some other experienced people are recommending the 6.47, 6.49. and 6.50 versions. No one is recommending the 12.41 unless you have a GeForce 3.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

i believe that has to do with support for newer twinview mx cards that support dual monitors. the nvidia drivers automatically allow for dual monitors......i think there is a setting in the display properties to disable that, but honestly im not at home and cant be sure, so forgive me if there is no disable toggle switch there.

ignore everything i say

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Well, I installed the 6.50 drivers and it solved my double monitor problem, but at the cost of a surprising performance decrease. Now Unreal Tournament constantly slips in and out of short sluggish periods. Other games so far seem alright, but UT is the one I play most, so I think I'll try the 6.31 drivers, see if that helps.

P.S. I tried disabling the "Force detection of secondary device" (or something to that effect) in the Twinview menu, but the computer still found a second monitor. Weird.

Berman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Ugh, sorry to sound like a whiner, but now my Direct3D performance is all screwed up (slow, choppy, like it was an inferior video card), no matter what drivers I use. It's strange, because OpenGL is fine. Any ideas?

G

that happend with my MX win win98 too, not in win2k with same driver version though...weird