Anyone else played with Vista July CTP x64?

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Loaded it yesterday. System was 3.0GHz P4 w/ HT, 2GB DDR2-533, 256MB x700, 80GB hard drive. Loaded the Ultimate version.

Supposedly this version was supposed to be better performing than Beta 2. Well it is responsive, but at what cost you might ask. Well, with 2GB of RAM, 1GB was stated to be cached. There was no longer a memory used indicator. And free memory was stated to be 517MB. Out of 2GB. Thats with absolutely nothing running (I even turned off the sidebar). Just at the desktop with Aeroglass on. Oh not to mention the 1GB page file.

I changed to the Windows classic theme and turned off all the aeroglass stuff. Barely made a dent. Page file dropped about 75MB but thats about it.

Anyone seeing this? This kind of resource usage is worse than Beta 2.

FITCamaro

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Ok. Looks like its not releasing memory. I started up the system today and it was at very reasonable resource usage levels. But after I'd just done a few things like open IE and whatnot, once again the resource usage crept up to around the levels I saw before. So I'm thinking its not releasing memory back after its no longer needed.