Question Anyone else using iPad as a universal remote...

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
Are you using your iPad to control your entertainment system? I'd like to hear about the software and hardware you're using to do it!

My home theater system is IR, although I have been able to use Verizon's app to control their box via the network.

I'm guessing an ir blinker that plugs into the iPad with software to support it?

Looking forward to your solutions!

Thank you.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
My Samsung S4 supported infrared and was awesome as a "universal remote". Since I got my Samsung TV I just use "Smart Things" which performs almost all the same function.

Apple is rather funny since they are walled garden and all. I am positive other Apple devices and programs (for instance Apple TV) could be controlled through the iPad, but haven't tried to look for anything specific to the receiver, etc. I do know that I can still stream and control media to the TV but less remote and more head unit (media playing on pad and streaming to device).

Reactions: Dom46

Dom46

Reputable
Jun 26, 2019
My Samsung S4 supported infrared and was awesome as a "universal remote". Since I got my Samsung TV I just use "Smart Things" which performs almost all the same function.

Apple is rather funny since they are walled garden and all. I am positive other Apple devices and programs (for instance Apple TV) could be controlled through the iPad, but haven't tried to look for anything specific to the receiver, etc. I do know that I can still stream and control media to the TV but less remote and more head unit (media playing on pad and streaming to device).

I don't know if you are familiar with Crestron control systems. I have some older controllers and touch panels programmed to operate my home theater and camera system on my house.

It is expensive equipment, and, to go out and buy the latest controller and touch panel can run $10k... too much money for a universal remote; don't you think?

Again, I am guessing that it would be a hardware ir blinker that plugs into the iPad with supporting software.