[SOLVED] Anyone ever have problems with the physicial firewall "Firewalla" causing damaging to their router

Feb 13, 2022
Hello I recently purchased the physical firewall "Firewalla" red from firewalla.com. It's caused a lot of connection problems for my router CG3000DV2. It's supposed to work by using ARP spoofing. My wifi for my phones and one computer just constantly connects and disconnects. Now I am plugging in my ethernet for that computer, which seems to work. I am just wondering if there will be hardware damage if these connection drops keep happening.

Solution
ARP spoofing is more of a hack than anything else. It is not a recommended method to implement. It is more something someone would do that does not have permission to access the network. Most good firewalls will detect the ARP spoofing and try to stop it.

This sounds like some stupid crap for a lazy home user.

A firewall needs to be wired inline between the router and your LAN. That way all traffic must pass thought the firewall. Most quality firewalls can run either in transparent mode...ie like a switch or are a actual router. Running it as a router is your best option.

It won't actually hurt your equipment it will just cause massive performance issues because the router and the firewall are fighting over the IP...
ARP spoofing is more of a hack than anything else. It is not a recommended method to implement. It is more something someone would do that does not have permission to access the network. Most good firewalls will detect the ARP spoofing and try to stop it.

A firewall needs to be wired inline between the router and your LAN. That way all traffic must pass thought the firewall. Most quality firewalls can run either in transparent mode...ie like a switch or are a actual router. Running it as a router is your best option.

It won't actually hurt your equipment it will just cause massive performance issues because the router and the firewall are fighting over the IP address. It is a form of duplication IP addresses. Just don't do stupid stuff and it will run much better.

Reactions: WellscMaf
Solution
Feb 13, 2022

It won't actually hurt your equipment it will just cause massive performance issues because the router and the firewall are fighting over the IP address. It is a form of duplication IP addresses. Just don't do stupid stuff and it will run much better.
I like your reply and thank you for it. Yeah it seems to be lowest price of all the physical firewalls. The more expensive ones do use a separate router/firewall device to connect between the first router/modem then the the computers.
I think I might play with the settings a little. But I am glad knowing it wont damage my hardware or you know set the router and my house on fire.