Question Anyone ever see a burnt CPU backplate like this?

Lorez27

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Friend of mine sent me a photo of the backplate from his i7-4770, I dont have the motherboard model on hand. But has anyone ever seen burn/staining/oxidization this bad on a CPU socket backplate before?
PC still runs fine apparently, with average Temps in 65~ while gaming.
Backplate looks like stainless-steel to me, but i'm not exactly sure.

No that is an odd one. Oxidization only happens when moisture so humidity could cause it. I would say it looks like he is using the stock heatsink or at least the stock mounting holes. That is the backplate for the socket retention arm so it shouldn't really get that hot or hot enough to cause the color change. If it is stainless steel then it has to have gotten very hot. I mean 270-300c is what the colors would say it hit:

http://www.smex.net.au/reference/SteelColours02.php

Friend of mine sent me a photo of the backplate from his i7-4770, I dont have the motherboard model on hand. But has anyone ever seen burn/staining/oxidization this bad on a CPU socket backplate before?
PC still runs fine apparently, with average Temps in 65~ while gaming.
Backplate looks like stainless-steel to me, but i'm not exactly sure.
I seriously doubt it's burnt... most likely a reaction with the finish caused by the cleaning process and possibly humid conditions where it's operated. Not the best thing cosmetically to be sure, but I can't see it affecting it's very simple function.