[SOLVED] Anyone ever see dried liquid on the MOBO side of brand-new cables included with an Corsair HX1000?

Solution
Yes. Every time the test a cable for correct pinout (because all of the wires are black, so it's a P.I.T.A.), they mark the connector with a black sharpie.

You're lucky you got one with the marking on the part that goes into the motherboard where you can't see it. Used to be, and sometimes when there's a new operator, they would just "mark it anywhere" and that would REALLY piss me off.
Nov 13, 2021
@jonnyguru - Thanks for the response! I thought it might be something like that as part of the QA process, but it really didn't look like ink to me. I tried removing it with rubbing alcohol as per a recommendation from Corsair support, but it didn't remove all of it. I see from your credentials that you have some experience in this area, so I'll assume they're safe to use :D. Thanks again!

Yes. Every time the test a cable for correct pinout (because all of the wires are black, so it's a P.I.T.A.), they mark the connector with a black sharpie.

You're lucky you got one with the marking on the part that goes into the motherboard where you can't see it. Used to be, and sometimes when there's a new operator, they would just "mark it anywhere" and that would REALLY piss me off.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
Actually I have. I used to work in media management at a software firm. Sharpies were the best at not eating into the foil back of a CD and damaging the data but they can be removed from many plastics with Alcohol and a cotton swap (Lighter Fluid or Brake Cleaner work to a lesser extent.)

How To Get Sharpie Off Plastic Without Damaging it (homedit.com)

Huh. I've never had such luck. Maybe it depends on the kind of plastic.

Ay any rate, the marking is on the part that plugs into the board. So once installed, you can't see it.

Reactions: AntonyLovric

TRENDING THREADS