Question Anyone experienced with x58 xeon overclocking (triple channel vs dual channel)?

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
Im about to build my 2nd pc with Asus p6t motherboard, x5675 cpu, evga g2 supernova 750w, gtx 980ti
Thing is i bought 4x4 ram set (ddr3 rated 2400mhz and has also 2133mhz xmp profile)

I mostly play fortnite and even while streaming it uses barely 7-9gb ram so i dont really need more than 12gb. If i use 3 x 4gb for triple channel is there a way to boost its performance ( overclocking, other things than tightening timings) compared to dual / single channel setup? I read somewhere that uncore ratio plays big role in ram performance but it needs higher voltages to keep stable.

Should i try to get 1800mhz with what uncore ratio ? And since my old p55 gen1 lynnfield setup i could get ram up to 2133mhz is it possible with x58 also or should i go for lower ram frequency with bigger uncore ratio for more performance ? thank you

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Memory speed was a very low priority on X58 overclocking. Almost everything you ask depends on what you can do with the CPU.

CPU Multiplier x BCLK = CPU frequency. 6x, 8x, 10x, 12x ratio x BCLK equals the memory frequency.

So if you are looking for an CPU frequency of 4Ghz or something you will need a high BCLK, and then you see how fast the memory will go. If it is 2400Mhz capable, then you shouldn't have any problem running almost any frequency an X58 system is capable of.

If you aren't overclocking the CPU, not sure what to tell you, you just set the memory to its profile and try to tighten the timings or leave it alone. Won't make a huge difference in games either way.

Reactions: Kurtisdede

fagetti

Notable
Mar 1, 2018
I will try to get highest stable overclock on CPU i can with maximum 1.40vcore, since i have a 3 fan aio shouldnt be a problem. Thing is i play mostly fortnite which is badly optimized and one of the only games i played where ram speed gives huge fps boost. I noticed it myself and there is alot of comparison videos on youtube.

I would of needed 200 blck with p55 to reach 2400mhz and asus motherboard refused to go beyond 188-190, with x58 it should be possible. So im looking to either go 200 blck or whatever i get stable. What about the uncore should i aim for highest possible frequency for it?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm struggling a bit to recall what the uncore did on X58. Something to do with always having to be double memory frequency for stability.

Some quick search says that 2000Mhz was up there for X58, and would mean an uncore of 4Ghz. I know I used to run 1600Mhz and at the time that essentially the fastest off the shelf memory you could buy.

i7-960 @ 161 x 23= ~3.7Ghz with memory running at 10x for ~1600Mhz. Ran the CPU with a little undervolt at 1.168 volts or something like that.

I suggest reading through some of the old guides and forums.

There were odd islands of stability with X58, some people ran BCLKs of 212-220Mhz. Those are the ones that commonly had their i7-920 running above 4Ghz.

TRENDING THREADS