[SOLVED] Anyone have experience with Ergotron Wall Monitor Mount or similar? Uncomfortable with it all on one stud.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
I just set this up and am uncomfortable with it all on one stud; arm is heavier than I anticipated (13.5lbs) and though monitor is at low end of weight limit (12.5lbs) considering extends outwards up to 33" seems like a lot of force on single stud; wondering what other's experiences have been; thinking of putting board up spanning 3 studs then drilling thru center of board and screwing longer lag bolts into existing mount holes in stud; putting some into the other 2 studs as well, just to give that single stud some help; Have it mounted now--without monitor for the moment--and it feels solid; but this is my first experience with a long monitor arm like this. This is it: https://www.ergodirect.com/17794-ergotron-45-383-026-lx-hd-sit-stand-wall-mount-monitor-arm.html It cracked the textured surface that's over the sheetrock, made me a bit nervous that I might've split the stud as well; M8 80mm lag bolts are pretty large for 2" stud (1.5" actual) Anyone have experience with using one of these or similar mounts and would you suggest beefing up the support or is it good in the one stud?

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
if it crack the sheetrock maybe your stud is also crack and it is not a standard 2x4 one so you may check below bracket the size of it with a stud finder but the also have some extended wall plate on support link as option so you could do something similar

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
if it crack the sheetrock maybe your stud is also crack and it is not a standard 2x4 one so you may check below bracket the size of it with a stud finder but the also have some extended wall plate on support link as option so you could do something similar
Is new construction, standard 2x4. I use stud finder but also use an awl to poke around to find exact ends of stud to take guesswork out of centering; actual 2x4 is 1.5". Is installed and seems secure; Tom will put monitor on, see how that goes. Would still prefer adding extra support across the 3 studs; though for the moment doesn't seem to require it.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
the space between you screws on the plate 33 mm and a 2x4 stud is 38.1 mm so leaving small 3 mm total on each side of stud for the screws https://www.convertunits.com/from/1.5+inches/to/mm so for this plate i would use a 3 stud support .
Right? That's what I'd think too; though Ergotron is a professional company and they spec it out that way; probably will end up putting up the 3 studs; there are extra mount holes on the wall base for their track system to add keyboard etc; I could install some flush bolts reversed thru board so nut's on the outside to further beef it up.
Update, heard back from Ergodirect who sells Ergotron products and they suggested spanning board across extra stud so who knows?

Last edited:

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
check on link of them they sold extended plate see if one of them could fit your .
They only make a track plate for it which just runs down the single stud. I have it installed right now without the monitor yet, arm out, and no movement at base, seems secure, I will hook up monitor and keep close eye on base, can always install board across studs if need be.