Question Anyone heard of an M.2 SSD that overheats and can’t reformat?

capsdriod

Reputable
Nov 17, 2017
I have 2 x 512GB Intel SSDs that get really hot and I can’t format them though they show the last partitions on it ?

RealBeast

Titan
I have 2 x 512GB Intel SSDs that get really hot and I can’t format them though they show the last partitions on it ?
They are probably still under warranty, so download THIS from Intel to test them. I've seen them sometimes get warm but not really hot unless under some very high stress testing.

Use the Intel tool first to check them. Then you can secure erase them and start fresh. In the alternative, a command prompt window using diskpart may clean them.

Reactions: capsdriod

capsdriod

Reputable
Nov 17, 2017
They are probably still under warranty, so download THIS from Intel to test them. I've seen them sometimes get warm but not really hot unless under some very high stress testing.

Use the Intel tool first to check them. Then you can secure erase them and start fresh. In the alternative, a command prompt window using diskpart may clean them.

Thanks for that I’ll give a crack and warranty hmmmm there like 4 years old now 🙁so think there out of it .. I’ll try the tool and report back to ya.
Cheers

capsdriod

Reputable
Nov 17, 2017
Update Intel tool picks it up but after 20 mins ... gets really hot on the sandforce chipset... have tried a reflow of the chip but still same .. might have to see if there is a Short somewhere

TRENDING THREADS