Anyone here run Knights of the old republic and Vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
I suspect that KOTOR will have issues with it.... given that it was buggy even on the console versions.... (yes i had an xbox, way before any computer of my own)

G

I had it working under vista 64. Setting the affinity to a single core helped alot, though it was still prone to crash now and again.

Sengoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
The least dumbass way I know how is to use the most recent LucasArts anthology version.

Otherwise, you're dealing with compatibility mode, fussy copy protection, GL issues, and the like.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Argh!

I didn't have the funds to get a newer computer when these games where out and now that finally bought the new computer........... :fou:

I guess if I really want to play these games I'll get a console!

rayzor

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2004
ok, FINALLY got kotor2 working on vista 64bit, but dear LORD it was a pain! I had to reinstall the game and fiddle with the sound properties that you can change from the game launcher. Furthermore, i can only get this to work when running the game in windowed mode then maximizing it once the game starts running. ALSO, it doesn't support widescreen resolutions, so all the characters look super wide!!!

And you wonder why people are turning to the consoles in droves? It's because a huge percentage of the potential market is just plain scared to even attempt buying a pc game.

eqselgonas

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007
So how did you get Kotor to run in Vista Windowed mode? In XP I was able to adjust the ini file to: FullScreen=0, but it isn't working in Vista.

:(

nforce256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
Yeah I ran it on 32bit vista. Won't work if you just double click the icon. I right clicked went to properties and under compatibility tab set it to work in winxp service pack 2 mode. then it worked fine.

stevensl2

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

Yes, I had it working under vista 32bit. the second one as well =]

lagsalot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I can't get it running for crap tried xp mode run as admin I keep getting please insert play disc securom error this is my game I got on release day and have all the disc any suggestions would be great.

vista x64
8 gb ram
nvidia 8800 gt 512 mb
Intel quad 2.3 gz

Thank You
Lagsalot

lagsalot

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I finally got it to work some what. lol I can only get it to run 800x600 even with the latest updates I still get SecuROM telling me insert the play disc even though it is in the drive. I have to try like 3 or 4 times before it loads though its almost unplayable with car. freezing and crashes oh well though guess I'm done with this game really dont feel like buying again even if it is only 10 bucks on Steam

mikjendk

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
I got it running well on Vista 64 doing the following:

1) Run the game in XP combatibility mode
2) In the swkotor.ini, Add the line "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" under the Graphics section
3) Place the following in the root Kotor directory:
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Windows_Vista_Fix;85439

When I first installed the game it would launch fine but crash after a couple of minutes. With those changes it now appears to be running fine. This is on a nVidia 8800GT and a core2duo e6750 running vista 64

G

ok i have tried everything u all have said my crash is when i try to click on the powers button any ideas

Lord-Marnix

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I have tried everything i can find on the internet but it stil chrases after 15 min or so. i have vista 32 bit 1 nvidea Gforce 9800 GT and a core2duo E8400 3.0 GHZ 4 GB ram and 2 screens please help.

Luthanor

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
does anyone know what i need to do to get it working on Win 7 64 bit? it just opens for a second then closes and says windows is trying to find a solution but it never does :(

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
works for me on win 7 64 bit. I did purchase and install using steam so I don't know if that makes a difference. Did you install all of the latest patches for the game?

G

I DO i think for it to work you need to patch it and run as admin if that dosent work download it of of stema if you need to heres the link http://store.steampowered.com/app/32370/

Status
Not open for further replies.