[SOLVED] Anyone here using an MSI MEG Z690 motherboard?

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Hi folks...

I am looking at building a new desktop for myself. I would like a motherboard that supports PCIe-5. I would like to support 32 GBs of RAM out of the gate, with an option if I need more memory in the future (I think not, but it would be nice to have the option)

I can't afford a 12th generation i9 processor at the moment. So I was looking at an Intel core i7-12700kf. I always use a video card, so I am not interested in a graphic chip on my motherboard. I noticed that some (all?) i9 processors also use the same socket as the Intel core i7-12700kf. So I was thinking that maybe in a few yeas, when the prices come down, I can upgrade my CPU to a i9 processor?

I just found a motherboard called an MSI meg z690. Here is a link to it on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09KKRSG8...colid=SKO5AT9TPPH4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I have never used an MSI products before. I am going to MSI's web site after I post this to see if I can down load the manual for this motherboard.

Is anyone here using this motherboard? Anyone have any good or bad things to say about it?

I have not built a desktop computer for myself is in 6 or maybe 7 years. I have always used name brand motherboards in the past. I do not know this company.

Any thoughts on this company or this motherboard?

Many thanks,

mraroid

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You would be more able to afford an i9 if you didn't buy a $450 motherboard.

Only difference between an i7 and i9 this generation is 4 efficiency cores and a little clock speed.

i5-12600K = 6 P cores, 4 E cores , 4.9 Ghz
i7-12700K = 8 P cores, 4 E cores, 5.0 Ghz
i9-12900K = 8 P cores, 8 E cores, 5.2 Ghz

You would be hard pressed to find a retail board that didn't support 32GB of memory. Most full ATX boards will do 128GB.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Solution

mraroid

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2014
Wow! I can not believe the support here. I can not tell you folks how much I appreciate all your help and suggestions. I have been away from building a desktop computer for so long, and the technology has gotten away from me.

My current desktop is in a smaller tower. It has a Gigabit motherboard but I can not recall the model number. (I am on my laptop and away from home at the moment). In it, am running an i7-5820K 3.3 Ghz CPU, and 16GBs of RAM. The motherboard has a PCIe-3 bus and I have a Nvidia GeForce 1080 card in it (which is a PCIe-3 card I believe). I can not remember the brand name of my power supply, but it is 800 Watts.

My hardware will not update to Windows 11. I know hacks are around, but I am not into that. I would rather build myself a more modern desktop and enable all the things I need to enable so Windows 11 will run just fine.

I will check out all of the above gentleman. I think I will take your advice and pay a little extra for a GPU on the motherboard. You are right - it would be handy in testing.

Thanks again everyone. I have a lot of reading to do, then I will be back.

All the best,

mraroid