Anyone in the greater Los Angeles area thinks they can Teach!

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
I want to start building systems to earn some extra income. I'd would like to learn under a person in the Los Angeles area who considers themselves expert for few months once or twice a week. Getting some hands on experience would be what I am looking for. Anyone?

Solution
Hello fools79;

This is a tough business you're looking at. Small profit margins, fickle customers who DONT want to wait.
Competitors with larger parts bins, merchant accounts to get parts for less than you could. With long standing reputations and online websites to draw in customers to get volume sales you'd need to make a decent profit for all your work.

Building on 'spec', buying parts, building the machine and then trying to sell it locally is going to be frustrating.
You'll have to be prepared to 'eat' the costs if no one wants what you've built.

On the other hand, if you want to do it as a hobby because your enjoy it you could come out OK.
Hello fools79;

This is a tough business you're looking at. Small profit margins, fickle customers who DONT want to wait.
Competitors with larger parts bins, merchant accounts to get parts for less than you could. With long standing reputations and online websites to draw in customers to get volume sales you'd need to make a decent profit for all your work.

Building on 'spec', buying parts, building the machine and then trying to sell it locally is going to be frustrating.
You'll have to be prepared to 'eat' the costs if no one wants what you've built.

On the other hand, if you want to do it as a hobby because your enjoy it you could come out OK.

Solution

fools79

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Well I've built a few systems for friends and myself but I've never ran into problems with assembly or anything like that. I now how to build but not how to fix the actual hardware. I feel that if just didn't build anything till I knew what the customer needed I'd be alright. Maybe I just want to expand my knowledge based when it comes to touble shooting.

Alextkaplan

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Hey my name is Alex. I was wondering if someone could teach me about the different components of desktop and, or laptop. Possibly someone who has Jabber and is willing to teach me the basics of what components go into a desktop, how they work, what they actually do, what the specifications actually mean. teach me how to tell the difference between a good and bad cpu, gpu, mother board, ssd or hdd? how to tell if one component and another component are close to being identical, to try to save money when looking at parts. or the basics on over clocking, like if the component's temperature is too high, and it could be bad, or how to actually overclock cpu, gpu, ram in a way that i could learn what are the common numbers to try on each component.

I'm sorry i couldn't find anywhere else that seemed like a place i could ask. this is my first time asking for someone to teach me like a mentor. im sorry if im annoying anyone or pissed someone off, i dont mean to. if this is against the forums rules, could you just send me a reply saying so? im not going to post over and over asking for help. im going to college soon and my desktop is from 2006 and out of date, i would upgrade / buy another one but i dont know enough about components. on a side note, im not asking to teach about everything, just a couple things would be great. thanks