[SOLVED] Anyone know anything about this monitor? AOC C24G1

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i've been looking for a monitor lately and ran across this on amazon.

but from what i've seen pricewise this seems too good to be true. anyone know anything about them and if they are decent? i'm not really looking for such high refresh rate but for the money i'll take the extra hz for sure. :)

reviews seem pretty positive but i don't know much about monitors...

i see that it is a VA panel which if i recall right is between a tn and ips as far as features. this seems ok to me as well. not really a gamer but was looking at 75 hz screens for those few games i do play.

so any info anyone can share with me?

Last edited:
Solution
VA panels are a good choice, have far better colors over TN and doesn't suffer from IPS glow. Some higher refresh rate VA panels can suffer from ghosting so 75hz is actually probably a better choice over 144hz for this type of panel.

As for that model it seem quite good for price and has DisplayPort so if your using a Nvidia card you should be able to utilize Freesync. AOC has quite the warranty on it, 3 year dead pixel replacement but even more is the 1 year/1 time accidental coverage which is quite impressive. To me they wouldn't put such a good warranty if it was a garbage unit.

WildCard999

Titan
VA panels are a good choice, have far better colors over TN and doesn't suffer from IPS glow. Some higher refresh rate VA panels can suffer from ghosting so 75hz is actually probably a better choice over 144hz for this type of panel.

As for that model it seem quite good for price and has DisplayPort so if your using a Nvidia card you should be able to utilize Freesync. AOC has quite the warranty on it, 3 year dead pixel replacement but even more is the 1 year/1 time accidental coverage which is quite impressive. To me they wouldn't put such a good warranty if it was a garbage unit.

Solution

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
that's kind of hat i was thinking. i'm somewhat familiar with the brand so i know its not some cheap korean/chinese junk thing.

i have a 1650 super which i doubt would push 144 hz anyway, but the 75 i was thinking of already should be good enough for me. i'm only thinking a couple racing games i play for wanting more than 60 hz.

i may just have to pull the trigger on this after looking a touch more. i do want to stay under $150 if i can and was only hoping for a budget 75 hz screen. but this one does look pretty good for the price and i like the curved screen. just cause they look neat to me :)

VA is usually referred to as in between TN and IPS, correct.

I am personally using a BenQ GW2270, just a standard 1080p60 monitor, but it uses VA. Colors really do not get washed out at all looking at an angle, unlike TN. The colors look decent, but it could just be I am used to it. Though, take this with a grain of salt as the majority of TN panels I have used were either on cheap netbooks or cheap AOC prebuilt bundled monitors. The responsiveness feels fine but I am not really great at determining that sort of thing.

I have used an Acer Nitro 5 with a 1080p IPS panel and it looks very different from my monitor. I cannot explain why, but it just looks different, size aside.

Price looks very good, it was that same price on Black Friday last year on Amazon before promptly going OOS (i looked into buying it) IIRC. I may actually buy it myself now. hmm.

Curvature I would assume is nice.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the only thing i read is that the curve is deeper than "normal" and a couple reviewers felt it was a touch awkward. it will be one of 2 monitors but the main one so i do wonder if that would be an issue. but i think i'm gonna buy it anyway as i do like the looks of it.

thanks for the input everyone. :)

edit: well i guess not. seems it's already back to reg price :(

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i actually found the sale price again on amazon. it's hidden due to being out of stock. but if i'm willing to wait until aug 5th for it to be back in stock, the $145 price is still good!!

and it's actually an amazon item and not some 3rd party. guess i'm gonna have to wait a while for it to come in, but i can't really pass up that price or the nice monitor.

edit: if you go below the price box on the right is the "other options" button that will show you the sale price if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
so first order was canceled on me by amazon. they said was not coming back in stock.

then today they send me an email saying it is back in, same price and i can have it in 2 days....

wish they'd make up my mind for me. ordered it AGAIN and will see if shows up this time :/

I managed to snag a 144hz 1080p ViewSonic off of eBay with a "scratch" for $64. Turns out the scratch was just a scuff that completely disappeared after rubbing my finger over it a few times. $64 with free shipping for a 1080p 144hz in great condition (once I buffed it with my finger) that was manufactured in late 2019 is a good price.

First experience with a more expensive TN panel. Turns out this one also suffers from terrible colors and poor viewing angles, just like every other TN panel I have used. Very disappointed. Honestly, jumping from 1080p 144hz from 60hz didn't feel very noticeable except in dedicated test like the UFO test. I think it will get more noticeable after time has passed.

Would personally not buy a TN panel again. My VA BenQ looks WAY better in side by side comparison.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
at last it was only $64 to verify what you already knew.

after everyone's comments here and my own reading i ruled out a TN panel completely for my purchase. i have an old Acer with a tn panel i have been using as a second monitor and it looks terrible sitting next to my LG ips panel. should be interesting to see this new AOC VA one sitting next to that LG and comparing them. i use both screens a lot and look forward to 2 1080p screens compared to the old 720p monitor sitting there now being used a second screen.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
finally got this monitor in and hooked up. colors look great out of the box. got to play a game or 2 and do some work and so on on it before i know if they need to be adjusted.

i had a 1080p ips monitor as my main screen and this one looks a bunch better next to my old one right out of the box.

think i'm gonna like having this as my primary screen :)

edit: so far i'm loving this monitor. games look great, documents and such look awesome as well. i've already had it running at 144 hz with freesync on and that game has never looked better. i still need to try it on a racing game but i don't think it'll make a difference. this thing just looks super and i'm glad i was finally able to get one.

Last edited: