Anyone know how to fix a window that leaves a gap when its shut?

Shaun98

Honorable
Mar 11, 2015
Hi, i have a suzuki swift 2006 and my electric driver side window wont shut properly.
The window will come right down and back up and does so at normal speed however the window falls forward towards the front of the car when it shuts fully so it leaves a gap at the back.

the only way i can get it to shut properly is to physically push the window into place whilst pressing the close button which is a bit of a headache but ive coped with it.

Im now looking to get this fixed and had a look online and i have taken off my door panel but ive heard i need a new regulator? i thought you only needed a regulator if the window moved slow or only one direction. Is it possible that the window has slipped of a track or something?

Any help is great!

JoeMomma

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Check the whole door for any loose bolts and worn or broken plastic guides.
TBH it sounds like a track has a teeny broken bit of rubber or plastic inside that is letting the windows slip at the top.
Plastic parts, especially a window part exposed to weather, start to crack with age.
Something like that happened to my VW Jetta, a tiny clip snapped off, but the window was stuck closed.

I also had a Ford Probe and the window had a metal strip glued to the bottom that bolted onto the opening mechanism.
If those bolts got loose I imagine it might have caused a similar problem.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Most likely there's a problem with the track/guide the window sets in. The regulator is not the same thing as the motor, so it is possible that is faulty. I had to replace the regulator in my bmw and it was about $20. Though each car is different, I found my case pretty simple to do.

If you can remove the door panel and see it move, have someone attempt to close the window while you look at it. Maybe that can help you figure out what's wrong. If nothing appears broken or misaligned, then it probably is the regulator.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013
Remove your door panel and see if your window is on the track properly. Move the window up and down and watch to see how it's sliding. Some use a pulley-like system, others work more like a scissor-jack, it just varies from car to car. My best suggestion is just getting in there and looking at it yourself. Should be easy to see why it's not closing evenly once you can see the regulator.

Praeceps

Honorable
Sep 24, 2013

After some more looking I found this. http://www.suzukiswift.info/fixing-a-crooked-window/ It seems to be quite common with Swifts. Hopefully this will be the reason.