Anyone know how to fix the bootmgr is missing error?

JanaRa

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Started getting this while installing it last night on a fresh pc build, I kept getting the error. I found a a way around is by pressing F11 and setting the cd/dvd drive first then comes another problem.

It starts installing once it reaches the "Expanding Windows Files" it stays %0 forever, which indicates something is wrong, cause most pc building videos I watch their's just blaze through the installation. Mines gets the error message after about sitting at %0 for 5-10 minutes. Would love to finally use my new pc before I head back to work Monday, so trying to get a great solution to this problem.

G

Put inthe installation or recover disk, or borrow one. Boot the disk and instead of install select repair. Skip through the start up repair and go to advanced troubleshooting options. Select command prompt type c: hit enter and try running: "bootrec.exe /fixboot" press ebter then "bootrec.exe /fixmbr" "bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd"

Then reboot

I'm pretty sure the/fixmbr is the correct one.

If at anytime the output from those commands says 0 operating systems found. Try running "bootrec.exe /scanos" If that doesn't find anything, you may have to reinstall, but look for other options. Look into something called super grub disk if that is still a thing. You should still be able to get data off in any case.

JanaRa

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Just tried, when computer start up, to avoid the bootmgr is missing, I tap F11 and manually select my optical drive. I made it to installation but I selected repair, and typed all your commands listed. Say they were successful, reboot it goes right back to the same message,

JanaRa

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Everything is new... I just built the pc 3 days ago.

JanaRa

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

Yes, I can select all drives I have plugged, ssd, hdd and cd/dvd. I choose cd/dvd it goes to installation most of the times and other times it goes to installation but it goes to page saying no drivers found.

JanaRa

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Bootmgr wasn't the problem all along, it was the Windows 7 installation all together. When at Expanding windows files I get the error code 80070017. So annoying, at the point of giving up on this build. Tried many solutions, remove sticks of ram, and all that other stuff. No luck, seems like there's no fix. I think I got a bad Windows disk, cause my components are good.

BlackMiau

Reputable
May 13, 2014
I have a similar problem. I get the missing bootmgr message. So I tried everything I could think of, including booting from the dvd drive, to no avail. Tried another hdd and it worked fine. So, back on the first hdd... bootmgr missing, prioritise dvd, press enter to load from dvd and... bootmgr is missing again. It's a constant loop and it's driving me bonkers.

Help a girl out?