Question Anyone know how to set up a RAID that connects to multiple Windows and Mac workstations?

lexb777

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
I apologize in advance for such a lengthy post, but due to the complexity of the problem, I want to provide as much useful information as I can. I am entering into the world of film and video production, but I'm a bit out of my element. I have little to no experience working with Mac computers, RAID storage, or LANs. I am being gifted some old hardware from a friend of mine who has worked in the field much longer than I have (He is ~65, I'm in my early 20's). I plan to set up work stations for my crew to use for our current and future projects, and I would like us all to be able to access the same storage system.

My Current Set-up:

CPU: i7 6700k 4-core w/ht OC to 4.6Ghz
MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait ATX
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz
GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition
HDDs: 2TB WD 7200rpm, 4TB WD 7200rpm
SSDs: 2TB M.2 SATA SSD, 256GB SSD
Several external HDDs and SSDs totaling about 9TB

My "New" Hardware:

~60TB RAIDs (My friend says it connects through some port that I have never heard of, I think he mentioned "Fiber." They are rack mounted. I am also getting the card it connects to, which connects to the MoBo through PCIE. Hoping it is compatible with my system)

Four late 2013 Mac Pros, two are 4-core, two are 6-core.

Many other things: studio lights, microphones, sound mixing boards, etc.

My goal is to sell the things I don't need so that I can afford any additional hardware I may need to set up the home studio. I am extremely grateful I am getting this new hardware, but it won't be much use to me if I can't set it all up properly. Right now I feel like a jumbled mess.

Assuming that I am able to successfully connect the RAIDs to my computer, how do I set up a network for the other Macs to be able to access the files? Should I just buy a dedicated computer to use as a server of some sorts? Would I need to run ethernet cables? Can and should I just install Windows 10 on the Macs? Any idea how much this would cost?