Question Anyone know how to set up a RAID that connects to multiple Windows and Mac workstations?

lexb777

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Best answers
I apologize in advance for such a lengthy post, but due to the complexity of the problem, I want to provide as much useful information as I can. I am entering into the world of film and video production, but I'm a bit out of my element. I have little to no experience working with Mac computers, RAID storage, or LANs. I am being gifted some old hardware from a friend of mine who has worked in the field much longer than I have (He is ~65, I'm in my early 20's). I plan to set up work stations for my crew to use for our current and future projects, and I would like us all to be able to access the same storage system.

My Current Set-up:

CPU: i7 6700k 4-core w/ht OC to 4.6Ghz
MoBo: MSI Z170 Krait ATX
RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz
GPU: GTX 1070 Founders Edition
HDDs: 2TB WD 7200rpm, 4TB WD 7200rpm
SSDs: 2TB M.2 SATA SSD, 256GB SSD
Several external HDDs and SSDs totaling about 9TB

My "New" Hardware:

~60TB RAIDs (My friend says it connects through some port that I have never heard of, I think he mentioned "Fiber." They are rack mounted. I am also getting the card it connects to, which connects to the MoBo through PCIE. Hoping it is compatible with my system)

Four late 2013 Mac Pros, two are 4-core, two are 6-core.

Many other things: studio lights, microphones, sound mixing boards, etc.

My goal is to sell the things I don't need so that I can afford any additional hardware I may need to set up the home studio. I am extremely grateful I am getting this new hardware, but it won't be much use to me if I can't set it all up properly. Right now I feel like a jumbled mess.

Assuming that I am able to successfully connect the RAIDs to my computer, how do I set up a network for the other Macs to be able to access the files? Should I just buy a dedicated computer to use as a server of some sorts? Would I need to run ethernet cables? Can and should I just install Windows 10 on the Macs? Any idea how much this would cost?

jeremyj_83

Commendable
Aug 23, 2017
Best answers
I agree with Jeremy. This way if anything happens to your computers they can be dealt with as your storage will be separate.
The file system also works out of the box with Linux, Windows, etc... for files since it is in essence a NFS share.

With how cheap those are, there isn't really any good reason to "build your own NAS" now of days.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS