Anyone know or thik the Palit GTX 460 2GB is good?

azazor

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
After an other post :http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/300078-33-upgrading#bas
I decided to go with 2 MSI GTX 460 Hawk 1GB.
I was surfing and saw the new Palit card: Palit NE5X460SF1142 GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Sonic 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

I know many reviews says that it is heating up a lot.
I was wondering, if I get the 2 of the Palit, get the best zalman fan for them.
Do you think those would be much better then te Hawk?

Thanks

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
The hawk is one of the best GTX 460s you can buy.There are reports that the Palit GTX 460 heat up, due to lack of VRM heatsinks.And its not worth the premium for 2 GB of video memory, as there is little improvement as compared to the 1GB version.
Stick with MSI Hawk.

The Palit is a good card, the Hawk is a great card. Although, there are even better ones, like the ECS GTX460 Black, or the Hawk Talon edition.

This is a comparison of the Palit 1gb vs 2gb:
http://benchmarkextreme.com/Articles/GTX%20460%20ANALYSIS/P1.html

"1GB vs 2GB is tricky. Honestly speaking, the gains are minimal at best. In some rare titles such as Stalker: Call of pripyat a sizeable 16% FPS gain was seen. Other titles also displayed some measurable gains but they weren't enough to significantly improve game play experience. It depends on what you intend to do with these cards. Benchmarking wise, 2GB is still superior over 1GB but from a gameplay point of view the benefits are hardly noticeable. But then again, this should be expected from cards that are fairly "low end" to begin with."

notty22

Distinguished

I agree, if you plan on sli two of them, even with a single monitor there are some games where you have enough power and could apply quality settings that having 2gb buffer would benefit. Its comparable to having a bigger frame buffer in the gtx 480, and two gtx 460 easily have more power than a single 480.