Anyone know the Paradigm Mini Monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to get some near field monitors and am wondering if there are
alternatives to the Tannoy Reveals, that I have heard...

These are 'supposed' to be as good but much cheaper...

Any other info from experience on the Paradigm line (Monitor 3 etc) would be
appreciated.

Also - is a sub recommended with these small speakers? They are flat only to
56hz.

Thanks

Bob

I used the Reference 20's for several years in the field and replaced them
with Genelec's only because I got tired of carrying an amp (and found the
Genelecs for next to nothing).

I still have them on my home stereo system and like them quite a bit... I
don't have experience with the mini's though.

--Ben

--
Benjamin Maas
Fifth Circle Audio

Please remove "Nospam" from address for replies

In article <8q1ev05qc322jm503kqmvhhf0mdifsgdoi@4ax.com> FlintsTone@Valve.Amps writes:

> These are 'supposed' to be as good but much cheaper...
>
> Any other info from experience on the Paradigm line (Monitor 3 etc) would be
> appreciated.

I remember them. It's been a few years. They had a pretty good
reputation, but that was before there were things like the Reveals
(there's a new version, by the way) and such. I don't know how they'd
compare today.

> Also - is a sub recommended with these small speakers? They are flat only to
> 56hz.

Actually if they really go down that low, it's probably good enough
unless you're mixing projects with a lot of low end - in which case
you probably shouldn't be cheaping out on your monitors anyway.

In article <8q1ev05qc322jm503kqmvhhf0mdifsgdoi@4ax.com>,
Bob <FlintsTone@Valve.Amps> wrote:

>I want to get some near field monitors and am wondering if there are
>alternatives to the Tannoy Reveals, that I have heard...
>
>These are 'supposed' to be as good but much cheaper...
>
>Any other info from experience on the Paradigm line (Monitor 3 etc) would be
>appreciated.

The old Mini Mk III was nice sounding, but I have not heard the newer
Paradigms. I know some of their cheaper home speakers have some serious
dome tweeter fizz, but some of their better ones are pretty clean.

>Also - is a sub recommended with these small speakers? They are flat only to
>56hz.

In what room? You'll find the low end response has as much (or more) to do
with the room than the speakers.
--scott

I did an a/b with them and some of the other cheap monitor speakers at the
time... KRK, Alesis, etc. I thought they sounded good, but were a little
fluffy... it was harder to pick out individual sounds. In short, they
sounded more like a hi-fi speaker. Now, they might be OK for you, they just
weren't for me, though I would like them as living room speakers.

> I want to get some near field monitors and am wondering if there are
> alternatives to the Tannoy Reveals, that I have heard...
>
> These are 'supposed' to be as good but much cheaper...
>
> Any other info from experience on the Paradigm line (Monitor 3 etc) would
be
> appreciated.
>
> Also - is a sub recommended with these small speakers? They are flat only
> 56hz.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

In article <8q1ev05qc322jm503kqmvhhf0mdifsgdoi@4ax.com>,
Bob <FlintsTone@Valve.Amps> wrote:

> I want to get some near field monitors and am wondering if there are
> alternatives to the Tannoy Reveals, that I have heard...
>
> These are 'supposed' to be as good but much cheaper...
>
> Any other info from experience on the Paradigm line (Monitor 3 etc) would be
> appreciated.
>
> Also - is a sub recommended with these small speakers? They are flat only to
> 56hz.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bob

I got a pair about 5 or 6 years ago and used them as my near fields.
They were a big step up at the time, but eventually, they were replaced
by a pair of Reveals, which are much easier to mix on. they then became
my home stereo speakers, but after scoring a pair of B&W DM330s for
$30, they are now relegated to rear speakers of the home theater. I have
to say that in the living room as front speakers, the Paradigms really
put out a nice amount of low end.

I have since moved to JBL LSR25ps for my home studio room. I got a pair
where one was busted (easy fix) so they were very cheap. I find it much
easier to discern what's going on in the mids and to judge reverbs and
delays (in my particular room, YMMV, etc).

I do have a Tannoy TS10 sub, which seems to be a necessity with the
Reveals, but the JBLs don't seem to require it as much (although it's
nice to have).

HTH
Edwin