Anyone know what device driver is for a external usb 3.0 drive?

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
I used this program called devicebooster. it updates all the device drivers. Updated everything. but now my front usb 3.0 drives don't work from the case. my front 2.0 ones work thou. got a asus P8Z77-V PRO for ivy bridge.
i tried the uninstall and restart pc trick still don't work for all the usb drivers. the motherboard usb3.0 work fine.
I really thought it was a good idea at the time.

Universal Serial Bus controller.
Device manager
2x asmedia
2x asmedia 3.0
generic superspeed USB Hub
3x Generic USB hub
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D
Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E26
USB composite Device
2x USBroot HUb

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
Some motherboards have TWO sets of USB 3 ports, using two different brands of controller, and so needing two totally different drivers.

You will need to go to the mobo makers website, identify your mobo (with the correct revision number) and download the correct drivers from there.

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
Installed the asus drivers. still no go, it will prob be ok once i reformat. i didn't want to do it thou since it's a pain installing all those programs for my different things.

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016

OK, you could try rolling the drivers back to the old ones; identify the USB ports that arent working in the Device Manager and select "Update device driver"

And don't use any third-party driver-finding utilities - - download drivers yourself from motherboard manufacturer's website, or from manufacturer of whatever device it is (and incidentally, drivers for external hard drives, regardless of model, are built in to Windows anyway).