Question Anyone know what happens if a GPU isn't seated completely into the PCIe slot?

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
The RTX 3080 is insanely big. I can't even reach the switch thing that you have to press down to pull the GPU out without a ruler. So, when installing the card, there was no click with that switch next to the PCIe slot. When I pulled out the RTX 3080 to reseat it, it came out instantly, meaning the switch didn't latch on. I just reseated the GPU and pressed completely down, again, no click sound.

Right now, I am running the PC, even though there was no click sound. What should be happening if the GPU is not completely into the slot? Would I be getting weird tears or images? Because atm the image and FPS in games are not odd at all.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
You could have some problems down the road if the gpu isn't seated all the way. The weight of it may slowly unseat it. I would try, with computer off, gently rock it and press down at the same time until you hear it click in to place.
@Fix_that_Glitch I just tried putting it in again and I pressed as hard as I could. I hear a soft, "thud" when it goes in but no click. I really wish I could take a picture to show you but the GPU is too big that it covers it.

Yoiji

Honorable
Mar 29, 2018
Well if you can't tell then there is no way for me to tell you it's ok then;)
Yeah I figured. That is why I was asking what would be signs that it is not in all the way? Would I experience any issues? Or since it is still making partial contact, it is working for now? Cause if there should be issues, but I am not experiencing any of them, then it might be in all the way.