Anyone live near a Microcenter?

DarthScabrous

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I've been looking for the lowest price I could for the Intel i5-2500k. Cheapest I can find is $219. When I looked at Microcenter, I went crazy when I found out that they had the cpu for $169. Only problem is, the closest one to me is a state away.

So, I was wondering: Is there anyone here who is nice enough to go to the store and buy the cpu at that price and ship it to me? I only know of one way to do this, and that is through paypal. I don't want to get scammed, and if you think that I shouldn't do this, I won't. But really, $50 off of a cpu is a lot, and I can use that extra money towards a better board.

So, would anyone do this? And I mean someone who lives close, like its an easy drive over to it. And shipping wise, and USPS flat-rate box should suffice, no?

I think you're taking a very big gamble, and no you shouldn't trust a stranger online with your money. Keep in mind, when you buy the CPU in store, there is going to be state sales tax added to the purchase. So when you figure the $169 CPU, for example Maryland state sales tax is 6%. So that makes the CPU $179. The price difference gets smaller. If you're dead firm on getting a 2500K, pay the money, or get a cheaper CPU.

Edit: You also have to consider the cost (assuming you could find a legitimate person to do this for you), of shipping, which could be another $10 dollars or so with UPS. Plus I doubt a stranger would do this out of the good of their heart. My nearest MicroCenter is 3 hours away, but if it were 10 minutes away, you can bet I'd want a couple bucks for my time.

cetane

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
Yeah, and my local Microcenter (Yonkers), which I visit regularly, limits you to one CPU/MOBO bundle a month (I always do the loss-leader bundles). The sales tax and shipping IS another consideration as nekulturny has stated. A college friend would definitely be the best bet. See if they travel by a Microcenter on their way to school come August.

Good luck!

How do they know you bought more than one a month? I've only been to the Rockville, MD MicroCenter once, and it was to buy RAM. But when stores ask me for all this personal information like my phone number, I tell them none of their business. And you can guess "NO I don't need another store loyalty card with a 'convenient' keychain card!" (yea they're real convenient until you have 20 of them!) :lol:

The 2500K CPU's are in-store only.
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0354589

BTW, while we're on the topic, I'd advise not buying from MicroCenter online anyway. My experience with them is their pricing is misleading, as they tack on expensive shipping fees and sales tax. (Even though Maryland does not yet require shipping for online orders). Which, is quite shady.

The shipping they charge for where NewEgg and TigerDirect offer free shipping, and in my experience ship parts much faster than MicroCenter. You'd think it were the other way around wouldn't you? Nope.

TRENDING THREADS