Question Anyone mind helping in a Doozie of an issue?

Sep 16, 2019
I will try to keep this as simple and straightforward as possible, as I have gone down every rabbit hole to try to chase down the solution to my problems. I’ll list my problem first, followed by my Rig setup, finally what solutions I’ve tried. Thank you for any suggestions:
Problem: Initial issue occurred when my computer crashed during the most recent Windows 10 update (version 1809), possibly due to a heating issue, and my computer would no longer boot into Windows. I was able to solve, by eventually reinstalling Windows and pushed the update through, however since then I’ve ran into a much more disabling issue. Upon the next reset my computer will no longer boot, not even to BIOS. In addition, my CPU temperature slowly creeps higher and higher until my computer shuts off. I’ve received numerous error codes (Q-codes) pointing me in every direction from bad RAM to CPU errors.
Rig Setup: (Purchased and built approx. 3 years ago)
  • Processor: I7-6700K
  • Thermal Paste: Arctic MX-4 Thermal Compound 2019 Edition
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VIII Hero (updated to most recent bios version 3802)
  • MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Plus – purchased for troubleshooting
  • CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Liquid Cooler (Hydro Series)
  • RAM: 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB 3200MHZ (2 x 8GB)
  • Two additional sticks purchased for troubleshooting, so total 32GB (4 x 8GB)
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce 970 FTW
  • PSU: EVGA Supernova 850 Watt Gold standard
  • Case: NZXT Noctis 450 – All stock fans
  • SDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB
  • HDD: Western Digital Black 1TB
Attempted Solutions: Aside from an absurd amount of research, I was initially thinking it may had been a driver issue, perhaps with Windows or my ASUS bios. I made multiple attempts to reinstall Windows, eventually becoming successful, before I’d receive an overheating error during previous attempts. At this point I was able to download the newest patch updates for Windows, however my mouse pointer was extremely non responsive and jumping around the screen. Then my computer shut down and I’ve been unable to boot it back to Windows. I was able to boot into BIOS a few times afterwards by resetting CMOS a number of times, but I was having the same issue with the mouse, and I could see my CPU temps slowly running higher and higher until it would crash. I obviously started thinking it was more likely my CPU Cooler or the thermal paste. I disassembled my entire computer numerous times, I reseated my CPU twice, and reapplied Thermal Paste even more as I reconnected the CPU Pump to the processor. I would check the CPU cooler to see if heat was being transferred properly, to try to see if there could possibly be a blockage. I could feel heat by the external hose closest to the pump, but I could not feel any heat at the radiator, so perhaps that is an issue, however I do not believe that is the only issue. I eventually was not able to even boot into BIOS and now I keep receiving the Q-Code error 1F or 10. This drove me towards the RAM. I tried booting with only 1 stick, in All 4 DIMM slots, but to no avail. I continually received those error codes. I tried a different stick and eventually the two other sticks I purchased after my problems arose. At this point, I purchased the MSI Z390 Gaming Plus motherboard to see if it may have been a bad board, but unfortunately, I still cannot get the computer to boot to BIOS. This motherboard does not show any error codes; however, my CPU cooler fans slowly begin to run faster and faster to try to compensate for the heat buildup. I am at a loss. I believe this is a multi-pronged issue stemming from my CPU to the CPU Cooler. And I do not see how the CPU cooler could be causing the RAM errors on my ASUS board. Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I wanted to be as thorough as possible. I truly appreciate any help!

Sep 16, 2019
I tried all of the above, however currently will not boot at all. I was slightly overclocking, however I have reset everything to default since the issues first arose, so CPU should be at stock voltage of 1.2