Question Anyone replaced 3080 Ti Thermal Paste ?

Digital~Dreams

Prominent
Jun 24, 2022
So far very impressed with my new ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3080 Ti OC.

Yet in the past I have always found replacing the factory thermal paste can noticeably reduce temps. My first Internet search found no one with experience !?

What did you use on your 3080ti, what temperature change did you get ?

I personally wouldn't mess with it until the warranty expires. How are your temps? Would adjusting fan speed curves on the gpu and/or case fans help? If you've done all you can on your side of things, and you still have an issue, RMA it if under warranty..go for it if not (and you know what you're doing).

Reactions: spentshells

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No different then re-pasting any GPU I would say. Since I water cool, can't really say what just swapping the paste would do. I generally use thermal grizzly kryonaut since I have a tube of that around. Hydronaut would probably be the better choice for ease of application. With kyronaut you have to manually spread it out on the die.

I know there were many 3090 and 3080Ti cards that responded well to improved thermal pads for the high memory temperatures.

If you aren't experiencing high GPU temps or Memory temps, I would also agree with leaving it alone. If you want it to be cooler, set the power limit a little lower than stock, you'll get 95% the performance and it won't boost to the moon.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
If it aint borked, don't mess with it....

If it IS borked, don't mess with it, unless you know specifically how to fix it....

Generally on a brand new card which is still under warranty, repasting will only get you a few degrees reduction anyways, which is NOT worth your time or trouble, nor voiding your warranty either !

I bought a used 3090 a few years ago that ran hot from day 1 (100-122c), so I repasted it with Artic MX4, which dropped the temps by about 20c, so IMO, it was worth it. Especially since it was well out of warranty, and ran way better for the next 2 years that I owned it... but then again, I was/am quite experienced at these things, so YMMV :)

Reactions: spentshells

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
3090 came out just under two years ago, so it hasn't been quite as long as you think.

Can't really void a warranty by re-pasting. As long as nothing is visibly damaged, they still have to honor it. Warranty void if removed stickers have been deemed illegal in the US, and EU nations have a minimum fit for purpose warranty of 2 years (first six months the seller has to deal with it at zero cost to you)

If it aint borked, don't mess with it....

If it IS borked, don't mess with it, unless you know specifically how to fix it....

Generally on a brand new card which is still under warranty, repasting will only get you a few degrees reduction anyways, which is NOT worth your time or trouble, nor voiding your warranty either !

I bought a used 3090 a few years ago that ran hot from day 1 (100-122c), so I repasted it with Artic MX4, which dropped the temps by about 20c, so IMO, it was worth it. Especially since it was well out of warranty, and ran way better for the next 2 years that I owned it... but then again, I was/am quite experienced at these things, so YMMV :)

If it ain't borked don't bork it. "The Swedish Chef"