Anyone running Win7 x64 on a Precision 690?

2ylite

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Firstly, I've searched high and low throughout the Interwebs, and couldn't get definitive answers (mostly because the threads I found are at least 6 months old or the OP never reported back)

I recently picked up the following...

Dell Precision 690
2 x Intel 5060 Dual Core 3.2Ghz
8GB RAM
Quadro FX 3400 (sigh)
500GB SATA

The question is actually two-fold:

1. Can I reliably run a GTX 460 or FX 550 in the computer?

2. Anyone running Win7 x64?

The obvious question is, what were your experiences?

My concern is with the PCIe x16 slot, and the requirements of PCIe x16 2.0. (I've read that it should work with a 1.0 slot, but with reduced performance... which must still be better than the FX 3400)

I just don't want to plunk down some cash for a new GPU and find it doesn't work.

thanks!

2ylite

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I'm updating this thread in case someone needs info in the future:

The aforementioned video card did not work out for one reason or another.

I had a GeForce 6800 from an old Dell XPS, and it worked like a charm.

Precision 690 running Windows 7 x64 = PASS

Since the plan is to use the machine primarily for Sony Vegas Pro work, I would like to get a GTX 460 1GB.

I'd hate to buy a card without knowing if it will run in this machine, but I'm willing to give it a try.

More to come!

2ylite

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
A few notes that might help someone out in the future:

Turns out that PCIe 2.0 cards are backwards compatible and will only result in reduced memory bandwidth. (there may be other issues, but the quick answer is yes, it will work)

Motherboard is MY171

As of this writing, current BIOS is A08.
RAID controller is an LSI 1068

More to come...

funInSun25

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Interestingly enough yes, I run Windows 7 x64 on a Precision 690. I also run several VirtualBox OS and they work quite well. I have a Quadro FX4800 card that requires secondary power (which the PSU has), and I've also run an FX4600 which worked too.

2ylite

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
The concern I have now, is that the GTX 460 has dual power connectors. While the 750w psu has a single 6-pin connector, I'm not sure if I can reliably connect the 6pin-to-dual-4pin adapter to a single rail on the psu.

Anyone?

bertfella

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012

How did this go?

I have nw aquired a Precision690; have loaded it with 8gb ram and 4 HDDs but am trying
to install a GTX460 in it..... to no avail so far :-(

Ive got the 6pin PCIX Power connection plugged into the video board; plus, 2zmolex on the same rail into
a converter to provide the other 6pin power to the graphics card....

...but i get no video........

Any further experience re this would be much appreciated...
Thx

kylekillzone

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

You can use 2 molex to 6-pin power connectors and the card will run nice and fine since the PSU is 750w.

-------------EDIT-------------
just saw the above post. you could mabe use another rail with molex plugs? if not then i guess you guys have to buy a new power supply

bertfella

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
Thx.
Just to clarify, my pc wont boot with the card in, I get
No video and after a while the machine beeps twice....

I'm not sure if its booting with no video or just
Not booting with the card in.

I know I'm running a07 bios so I could update that to a08 but was concerned re the power side.

Myanmar question was whether it was an issue that the 2x4pin molex for the 2nd lower connector are ok where both mex are on the same rail; which appears to be shared with a 20pin motherboard connector.....

There is also a larger 6pin extended power connector off the psu that's free.
Is it possible to get a cable for that to change it to a 6pin PCIx connector to provide the power instead of the molex connections.

I found this re the power supply....
Can I use the "p4" spare connector with the correct cable....

Connectors
1x 24-pin ATX Connector (P1)
1x 20-pin ATX Power Connector (P2)
1x 12-pin ATX AUX Connectors (P3)
1x 6-Pin Extend Power Connector(P4)
1x 6-pin PCIx Power Connector (P5>

http://www.itwinkle.com/newde750wapo.html

Many thx

kylekillzone

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

Sorry for the late reply but if your computer isnt turning on with the card in look around your motherboard for error lights or error numbers.