Discussion Anyone try building a Ryzen 5 3600 through Amazon Prime Now?

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
Anyone try building a Ryzen 5 3600 computer through Amazon Prime Now - a 2 hour delivery service, with limited products.. For people that dont want get out of the door.
Niger.png

it doesn't matter which retailer you buy any particular piece of hardware from, it will be the same piece of hardware whether from Amazon or Wal-Mart or any trusted retailer.
i usually find cheaper prices than Amazon @ Newegg, though considering it's a Prime deal you may find some better prices and shipping options.

Amazon carries almost any computer component you would ever wish to find. i've bought plenty of higher end motherboards, processors, memory, graphics cards, HDs, flash drives, etc through their online services.
so i don't get what you mean by "limited quality".

it doesn't matter which retailer you buy any particular piece of hardware from, it will be the same piece of hardware whether from Amazon or Wal-Mart or any trusted retailer.
I would NOT call Amazon a trusted retailer. They have a problem with fakes, people swapping things all the time and of course the 'new' item arriving open box condition. A trusted retailer won't have these issues.

I've never heard of this.
In the larger metros, they have a same day delivery service for stuff. My wife had to have a router instead of waiting for our moving truck to arrive so she bought one same day and was up and running how she wanted same day.

I've never heard of this. Unless it's that service where they use drones to deliver things. I've never used it.
depending on where you live, more and more of their regular items are available delivered through this service. i've gotten lots of ads here in central FL because they have Amazon warehousing just south and just west of us. every week more and more electronics are available and many items on their regular Amazon shopping pages show Prime Now shipping as an option.
i see them delivering around town more and more often in their smaller Amazon vans, but haven't seen any drones yet.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
I've never heard of this. Unless it's that service where they use drones to deliver things. I've never used it.
I would NOT call Amazon a trusted retailer. They have a problem with fakes, people swapping things all the time and of course the 'new' item arriving open box condition. A trusted retailer won't have these issues.

In the larger metros, they have a same day delivery service for stuff. My wife had to have a router instead of waiting for our moving truck to arrive so she bought one same day and was up and running how she wanted same day.
depending on where you live, more and more of their regular items are available delivered through this service. i've gotten lots of ads here in central FL because they have Amazon warehousing just south and just west of us. every week more and more electronics are available and many items on their regular Amazon shopping pages show Prime Now shipping as an option.
i see them delivering around town more and more often in their smaller Amazon vans, but haven't seen any drones yet.
Amazon Prime Now is a Same Day (2 Hour or 1 Hour) Delivery Service and the items more likely come from Prime Amazon Warehouse (which is smaller) and yea that usually have limited of choices available.
Mostly for people that do not have time to shop ground stores or forgot something last minute or want to get it right away..

Basically i want quickly have it delivery on same and build one for other purposes.

these are not items directly from Amazon with these issues. these are items from Amazon Storefronts, regular users selling their wares and junk through Amazon's service. you can see on any product's description if it's actually purchased from Amazon or if it's coming from some nobody from god knows where.

Even in CA they don't have the drones yet. There's no way that's going to happen with FAA and FCC approvals. That will take time...

these are not items directly from Amazon with these issues. these are items from Amazon Storefronts, regular users selling their wares and junk through Amazon's service. you can see on any product's description if it's actually purchased from Amazon or if it's coming from some nobody from god knows where.
"Shipped and sold by Amazon" is what you want to buy. The rest there is no guarantee where it ships from.
No, even on the direct Amazon stuff it's happening regularly. You see it on the slickdeals forums all the time when a Prime 'hot deal' turns out to be half full of fakes. They mix inventory now so you never know what you're getting. It's gotten bad enough that people are starting to shop elsewhere. And if I was buying computer parts that were supposed to be new, messing around with fakes and open box returns isn't what I want to be doing if paying for new.

No, even on the direct Amazon stuff it's happening regularly. You see it on the slickdeals forums all the time when a Prime 'hot deal' turns out to be half full of fakes. They mix inventory now so you never know what you're getting. It's gotten bad enough that people are starting to shop elsewhere. And if I was buying computer parts that were supposed to be new, messing around with fakes and open box returns isn't what I want to be doing if paying for new.

It just doesn't happen here I guess. I never had 1 issue like this so far. Might just be lucky.

The problem with things like that is you are getting a disproportionate measure of user feedback. Sure there may be some mixups and people start complaining, but how many more customers have a successful purchase an never think about it again? Exponentially more. People most of the time dont leave positive feedback.
Also, the deals on SD generally put a larger strain on warehouse stock meaning they may pull from different locations.

I personally have never gotten any improperly stocked item in the 6 years Ive been a prime member. Even if I had, you can easily get it replaced, for free, and occasionally get credits in the process too.

Reactions: valeman2012
have never had this type of experience out of hundreds of direct from Amazon orders and have never had a complaint from the many people i have pointed to Amazon for their own use. the only time any bad experiences like you've described have come up was when those people ordered from 3rd party storefronts.

i have seen quite a few reports/reviews of users complaining that they got "used" items when expecting "new". but almost every time they explain that they just were too dumb to read the description completely and thought they were getting some unbelievable deal for new items and had missed the "like new" or "open box" label.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

While I've never experienced it, I think I've read something about this. I believe what I'd read was that if multiple vendors are selling the same item X (said vendors may or may not include Amazon), then being the same item, they all have the same SKU and, regardless of source of the item, are stored in the same place. Therefore, no matter which vendor you get X from, when one is picked, you don't know which supplier's X was picked and shipped to you.

I can't really confirm how much truth there is to that, though, but I'd read it - can't recall if it was an article, or a comment on an article somewhere.

valeman2012

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2012
If you bought the item from by Amazon.com. You reliability of getting the item very high and if you bought it from by Third Party. There no guaranteed how reliable is their delivery. I never got any wrong item from Amazon (i filter all of them so its by Amazon.com)

Yea people might starting uses these last mile (same day 2 hour delivery) service just have their computer build even there limited choices? Is that good?

Last edited:

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I've had seemingly open-box items sold to me as New by Amazon (not third party, I mean from actual Amazon, with the product listing being as new).

It's always possible they left the factory like that I guess.

You know, with just enough of the internal packaging opened up for a user to have tested the item, decided they didn't want it, and sent it back. And it just so happened the tape sealing the outer box broke and it had to be clumsily re-taped too.

It's entirely possible that one of the monitors I bought that arrived in that condition and that had the exact same defect as one of the reviews left by someone else who had returned theirs (stuck pixel, same colour, same place) was a complete coincidence.

I still buy from them but check what I get very carefully and immediately on arrival. And I stopped buying hard drives from there after I got a New one that looked like it had been used. I don't buy internal storage there any more...