Question Anyone use Samsung's warranty for NVME SSD?

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
If so how did the process go; did they pay for the shipping back to them, and was it an easy process? Am considering purchasing a 980 and from reviews seems mixed as to longevity so wondering is their warranty ok to use in case or should I purchase 3rd party one?

USAFRet

Titan
If so how did the process go; did they pay for the shipping back to them, and was it an easy process? Am considering purchasing a 980 and from reviews seems mixed as to longevity so wondering is their warranty ok to use in case or should I purchase 3rd party one?
What reviews regarding longevity are giving you issues?
Samsung drives are generally considered at the top of consumer grade SSDs.

I have several.

USAFRet

Titan
I've heard several complaints about Samsung customer service generally.....but that can be said about any of Samsung's competitors.

It's all anecdotal. Hope you never have to deal with them at all.
You hear about the few fails.
You don't hear about the 100,000 others that did not fail.

For Samsung SATA SSDs...

Reactions: Corwin65

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
What reviews regarding longevity are giving you issues?
Samsung drives are generally considered at the top of consumer grade SSDs.

I have several.

I'm actually deciding between the 980 or 970 EVO + now.
Think I should opt for the 3rd party warranty (newegg) for $10 or just go with Samsung's & hopefully not need it?

Pextaxmx

Reputable
Jun 15, 2020
A heads up though, Not sure if Samsung is more reliable than other brand as indicated by this thread.
This 870 evo issue seems to be quite widespread and there is no confirmation I can find that the issue is fixed.
I saw at least 2 cases on this forum and there are lots of reports of this issue.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/synology/comments/p15wwq/samsung_870_evo_2tb_and_4tb_multiple_failures_in/

It can't be considered anecdotal anymore IMO.
I got a coupon code I can buy 4Tb 870 EVO for 360 USD today but I am not sure I should buy it right now.

USAFRet

Titan
2 cases on this thread (very last 3 posts) doesn't mention anything about Synology - but it would be great if the posters find this and kindly elaborate a bit about the use cases for us.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...spite-few-bytes-being-written.3571220/page-10
I've been following that MX500 thread since inception 2 years ago.
And from all that hardcore banging on that drive and testing...it has not yet died.

I have a couple of those drives...one in my grandsons system, and now a new one in my own.

I've seen no issues.

alphacoyle

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Ignore the aftermarket warranty.
If 3rd party warranties were good for us, they wouldn't do them.

5 years from Samsung is fine.

The 970 EVO Plus will serve you just fine.

Ok, and you think the 970 EVO Plus a better choice over the 980? I don't need super speed, just reliability, like consistent speed. I mostly just web browse & am told that the SSD will help with m lag issues.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok, and you think the 970 EVO Plus a better choice over the 980? I don't need super speed, just reliability, like consistent speed. I mostly just web browse & am told that the SSD will help with m lag issues.
There is ZERO speed difference between the 970 EVO or EVO Plus, and the 980.
None.
The 980 is just the next model number in that same PCIe 3.0 line.

I defy anyone tel tell the difference in a blind test.

The difference between HDD and SSD is large.
Between different flavors of SSD? Not so much.

The 980 Pro, on a PCIe 4.0 M.2 port, in certain use cases, you would see a difference.

eugenu

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2014
Everybody's touting the amazing reliability of Samsung SSDs.
Well, when they do fail, Samsung refuses to honour the warranty.
They sent me a letter which I was supposed to forward to the seller (Amazon.ca) to ask for warranty services. That happens 18 months after purchase and Amazon (or any other seller) only covers warranty for a few months or at most 1 year after date of purchase.
As a result, I'm stuck with a failed 860 PRO well within the 5 years of warranty that Samsung boasts.
Lesson learned: never buy Samsung products again!

TRENDING THREADS