Anyone use SMC wireless routers?

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
im lookin to set up my home network wireless. i was reading about the SMC SMC2804WBR and thought it looked great. im more familiar with netgear, linksys etc. supposedly has a range of 1,155 ft.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
It will have roughly the same range as the other wireless equipment you've used. Disregard the specs unless your operating within a line of sight environment. If not then Mfg numbers are irrelevant. At the price point of SMC, Linksys, Dlink etc... you can flip a coin generally speaking. One model may outperform another (even within the same company, in fact two units of the same model may have different performance output. Nature of budget wireless gear) but by and large they are very similar overall.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
thanks for the reply kwebb... it sure looks like you're an expert in this field. i actually decided to go with the linksys wireless g WRT54G and WPC54G for my laptop. what kind of range do you think i'll have from the router to the outside of the house if there is only one stone wall seperating? basically, i want to be able to bring my laptop out to the pool area and have access to all my mp3's, vids etc... id say the pool is 60-70ft away from where the router will be.

kwebb

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2001
No way to be certain. Real world testing is the only way you'll know for sure. Stone can be a problem though, I'll say that, but you should be ok. You might not/probably won't associate at 54 Mb, so transferring files may be a dissapointment but you should have enough available bandwidth to stream those MP3's. Videos may be another story. I'd be cautiously optimistic but prepared for poor results in terms of video streaming. There is certainly a chance you won't get a link at all. 70 feet could be an issue with a stone wall in the path. Depends on the wall I suppose and other environment variable exlcusive to your location. Microwave is susceptible to alot of things that can cause interference. Any neighbors with wireless gear? That could be a problem outdoors. 2.4 Ghz phones and a myriad of other problems. Good luck.

CCNA, MCSE, A+, Cisco Certified Wireless Field Engineer

tdean

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
thanks for the info.... i may put an ap on the porch to boost the signal.