Question Anyone use Ubiquiti Unifi hardware?

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I use two Unifi AP's from Ubiquiti. I have used them for a few years now. I have never been able to get the app to work right, and was finally able to figure out through their online support, that I had a 32 bit java version, and their app needed a 64 bit version of java. Fixed that and I seem to be able to use their application now. However, since deleting the app and reinstalling it, I can't get the AP's to work. They come up as offline now. My phone, for example, sees them still, and shows that as having full bars for wifi, but they do not come up under available networks, only remembered networks. I have powered them all down and restarted them. They still come up blue, which is supposed to be a good thing. They appear to be operating still, but are offline and not sending out a signal. Thanks if anyone out there has an ideas.

kanewolf

Titan
I use two Unifi AP's from Ubiquiti. I have used them for a few years now. I have never been able to get the app to work right, and was finally able to figure out through their online support, that I had a 32 bit java version, and their app needed a 64 bit version of java. Fixed that and I seem to be able to use their application now. However, since deleting the app and reinstalling it, I can't get the AP's to work. They come up as offline now. My phone, for example, sees them still, and shows that as having full bars for wifi, but they do not come up under available networks, only remembered networks. I have powered them all down and restarted them. They still come up blue, which is supposed to be a good thing. They appear to be operating still, but are offline and not sending out a signal. Thanks if anyone out there has an ideas.
What platform did you run their app? Windows? I had issues with the Windows firewall allowing traffic through.
I recommend you use a PI4B to run the app and PIHole DNS. That is what I do.
If you get a current UniFI router, it has the management software running on it.
Since you deleted and reinstalled the app, it is possible that your APs will show up as "managed by another". Your new controller installation doesn't know about them and won't adopt them.
Did you save a configuration backup from your previous installation? If so, you can restore that backup to your new install.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I didn't save a configuration. Multiple posts have said, just forget them, factory reset them, and then adopt them fresh. But that's not working.

I can't figure out what happened, but after doing that to one of the two devices, I went ahead and connected my pc with the UniFi software on it directly to the router, instead of to the switch that is connected to the router. The AP's came back online. It updated the firmware of the one AP that was still showing up in the UniFi app. All of my echo dots came back on and I seem to be able to connect to both AP's again.

Unfortunately, I still can't see the device I forgot and factory reset and I still have no option to adopt it. The app just doesn't see it.

Any ideas on any other way to adopt it again so that I can see it in the app?

Thanks so much for replying.

kanewolf

Titan
Unfortunately, I still can't see the device I forgot and factory reset and I still have no option to adopt it. The app just doesn't see it.
That was the symptom I had when the Windows firewall was blocking traffic.
If you have factory reset the units correctly, they will have white rings rather than blue. If they aren't white they haven't been correctly factory reset.
The change in cabling (switch to router) seems odd.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
That was the symptom I had when the Windows firewall was blocking traffic.
If you have factory reset the units correctly, they will have white rings rather than blue. If they aren't white they haven't been correctly factory reset.
The change in cabling (switch to router) seems odd.

I'd forgotten the color detail. The one I had reset had been white, but it's blue again. It seems to me there was some setting somewhere that 'meshed' them. I wonder if the other one sucked it back in somehow. I'll poke around with that. You are right that one of them should still be white. Hmmm.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Update - I torched everything I could find. Anything that looked like it was related to the previous ap's, I deleted. I unplugged everything I could find and powered it back on again. I restarted everything I could find related to the network. I finally got both ap's to show up to adopt. There must have been some remnant of the previous ap setup that wasn't allowing a fresh install, but it did now. I'm currently updating the ap's from firmware 4 something to 6 something.

Can anyone help me with some basic directions of how to get them up and running so that I can connect my devices to them again? I don't see them in my 'available networks' etc. so there must be more setup work to do.

Thanks.

kanewolf

Titan
Update - I torched everything I could find. Anything that looked like it was related to the previous ap's, I deleted. I unplugged everything I could find and powered it back on again. I restarted everything I could find related to the network. I finally got both ap's to show up to adopt. There must have been some remnant of the previous ap setup that wasn't allowing a fresh install, but it did now. I'm currently updating the ap's from firmware 4 something to 6 something.

Can anyone help me with some basic directions of how to get them up and running so that I can connect my devices to them again? I don't see them in my 'available networks' etc. so there must be more setup work to do.

Thanks.
I recommend you start here -- https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012192813#5
and https://community.ui.com/questions/New-Starters-Basic-Settings/124afadc-3e30-4e25-9121-7387fc3dc912

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I actually got one set up!!!! It's been weeks of working on this thing!!!

Now, the second ap. It says it will only adopt if I enable wireless meshing on the first one, and then it comes up as seeming to be extending off of the first ap. I can't get it to say wired. Does this sound like a network issue to the second ap?

Last edited:

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
So what I think was the problem was that as long as there was any evidence that an ap had ever been on the system, I couldn't move forward. Once I forgot and factory reset both ap's, and went into every tab I could find and deleted any evidence they had been there, they were able to show up as adoptable again. For example, after the devices were gone, I still had to go into settings and wifi and delete information there as well. You just have to nuke everything to clear everything out before you can start adopting the device again.

TRENDING THREADS