Discussion Anyone using MobileMe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Was looking at a MobileMe account as a way of getting mobile access to contacts, documents etc But I have heard some bad things about it, like contacts being deleted from an iPad or iPhone (and have to be manualy re-entered) when the accout is cancelled or a trial isn't continued, email not being sync'd with Windows clients only Apple...
Does anyone here have any real-world experience with MobileMe, and can you confirm or denounce what I'm hearing?

halcyon

Splendid
I've had MobileMe for about 6 months now and I've never had the issue you've described. Actually, I've been pleasantly surprised at how how it keeps everything in sync. The only thing I can say (as an issue) is that if you use the iDisk its glacially slow. ...other than that, MobileMe has performed well for me.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I've been using MobileMe for the last year but am actually going to cancel it. The service is good, no major issues with it, but I don’t think it’s worth the cash. For Contacts and Calendar, I use Google – this can then be synced to MobileMe so when you stop using the service you don’t need to worry about losing anything. Google now has push email, so that removes the advantage of having a me.com email address. I also find the Gmail web interface much easier than MobileMe’s.

MobileMe has a Gallery, but then there’s Flickr. Not my area though, more my wife’s but she chooses Flickr over MobileMe. The iDisk is good, if primitive where filing is concerned, but is useful for storing stuff. From my own usage through, Google Docs is equally suitable.

In fact, the only thing that MobileMe has that Google doesn’t is the Find My iPhone feature. Top tip…don’t lose your iPhone or iPad!

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I agree with diellur. With all the free alternative out there, MobileMe is kinda pricey. I'm part of a Family Pack deal, so 159$ for 5 accounts is not too bad, but 109$ for a single user account is hard to justify.

That being said, the service is average to good, and the iDisk can be useful. Having everything under the same service is also convenient, especially when you set up a new computer, or reset an existing one.

halcyon

Splendid

MobileMe is definitely expensive for its performance and what you get. The service works okay, albeit iDisk being slow, but $100/yr is kinda high considering the free alternatives. As was noted though, its is convenient to have all the features under one service, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.