[SOLVED] Anyone would explain why my GPU would die in this situation?

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
I went to change my CPU, changed it, went to boot up pc and my gpu fans stop spinning
So i switch my cpu again and tried to boot up but gpu still unresponive.
Tried using different slots and it wont work so i assume its dead
Not sure what i couldvr done wrong as i didnt touch my gpu the whole time

Solution
Vga led does mean it's not being detected or there's something wrong. Could be the mobo or card. Won't know until the new motherboard arrives i guess.

Check card is being seated properly and reconnect pcie cables making sure it's good fit. Things you've probably done and tried already.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Was rtx 3060 working before cpu upgrade?

Explain in detail how you went about preparing for the cpu upgrade. Like, did you update bios prior to installing new cpu or do you know for certain it's already updated?

Are cpu 8pin 12v and pcie cables connected?

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Was rtx 3060 working before cpu upgrade?

Explain in detail how you went about preparing for the cpu upgrade. Like, did you update bios prior to installing new cpu or do you know for certain it's already updated?

Are cpu 8pin 12v and pcie cables connected?

All cables connected.

My mboard box already says desktop ready and I had previously updated my bios; even checked for a bios update and there was none left.

3060 wae working beforehand yes

boju

Titan
Ambassador
When the comp is turned on what happens to the cpu and case fans, do they keep spinning or stop?

What display cable are using and where?

So after trying different pcie slot, the card is back in first slot yes? Just to get a sense of where you're at now. Put everything back to how you had it before. Try Hdmi cable if you're using Displayport, sometimes graphics cards default to Hdmi for some reason until Windows loads then can use DP afterwards. It's odd but have seen it happen here. Geforce since 10 series use dynamic cooling fans so they stopping isn't a reliable indicator. Fans on my 1080Ti won't start spinning until temps reach 60c. Do you remember if your card's fans spun consistently from cold boot?

Try single stick of ram too, 2nd slot from cpu.

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
When the comp is turned on what happens to the cpu and case fans, do they keep spinning or stop?

So after trying different pcie slot, the card is back in first slot yes? Just to get a sense of where you're at now. Put everything back to how you had it before. Try Hdmi cable if you're using Displayport, sometimes graphics cards default to Hdmi for some reason until Windows loads then can use DP afterwards. It's odd but have seen it happen here. Geforce since 10 series use dynamic cooling fans so they stopping isn't a reliable indicator. Fans on my 1080Ti won't start spinning until temps reach 60c. Do you remember if your card's fans spun consistently from cold boot?

Fans keep spinning. LED of case fans blink twice though, not sure if thats relevant.
Gpu is back to where it was originally yes
I have been currently only using the HDMI cable at the moment.
Unfortunately I dont remember if theh spun from boot I assumed they did hence why i thought it was dead. My bad.

At the moment I am trying every single slot with one ram stick, about to test the fourth one. Using only HDMI port, with thr gpu in its original slot
If this doesnt work then im going to CMOS reset again and pray that it works. I have already ordered another mboard (cheapest and can return it asap if it doesnt work) which comes tommorow incase all else fails. Just want to say thank you for helping even if all this doesnt work !

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021

Yep unfortunately nothing had worked. Just hoping the new MBoard works whilst i look for new solutions

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Hmm double check psu cables at both ends and cpu fan header is plugged yeah? There's not much else really. You aren't using the mobo's Hdmi port by mistake right lol. Wouldn't be the first.

Yep, everything fully connected , and no im not using the mboards hdmi lol that would be embarrasing.

Would like to say that the VGA red light shows up on the mboard which indicates that it cant detect it apparently.

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
Hmm double check psu cables at both ends and cpu fan header is plugged yeah? There's not much else really. You aren't using the mobo's Hdmi port by mistake right lol. Wouldn't be the first.
Also forgot to say, when i disconnect and reconnect the hdmi cable while the pc is still on, the monitor realises that ive connected it but says no signal. Does that mean the gpu is definitely still working? Maybe its the mobo not being able to detect it afterall?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Vga led does mean it's not being detected or there's something wrong. Could be the mobo or card. Won't know until the new motherboard arrives i guess.

Check card is being seated properly and reconnect pcie cables making sure it's good fit. Things you've probably done and tried already.

Solution

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021

Sorry, went to sleep but yeah didnt work :/ i also ordered a new gpu so hopefully one or the other works. Hopefully its the mboard because the gpu is too expensive

rakibfahadgts

Reputable
Aug 4, 2018
I went to change my CPU, changed it, went to boot up pc and my gpu fans stop spinning
So i switch my cpu again and tried to boot up but gpu still unresponive.
Tried using different slots and it wont work so i assume its dead
Not sure what i couldvr done wrong as i didnt touch my gpu the whole time
First look at your motherboard. Most motherboards have small LEDs that says DDR, VGA, CPU. Basically the LEDs should blink once and then stop (at least to MSI motherboards afaik) once you boot your PC. Otherwise indicates a problem in hardware like DDR one means there are issues with Rams. Watch for LED that is related to video output I.e. VGA in MSI motherboards. Because my gigabyte 5700 xt did the exact same when I installed a new RGB strip kit the VGA light stayed lit and PC won't boot. Apparently the GPU died due to shorting out somehow (as I was told). Gigabyte however gave me a replacement.

Edit: I've noticed the LED thing have been touched before by another member. So my bad. But if you have igpu with your CPU then you can connect video cable to motherboard in order to figure out if it's indeed the motherboard.

Last edited:

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021
First look at your motherboard. Most motherboards have small LEDs that says DDR, VGA, CPU. Basically the LEDs should blink once and then stop (at least to MSI motherboards afaik) once you boot your PC. Otherwise indicates a problem in hardware like DDR one means there are issues with Rams. Watch for LED that is related to video output I.e. VGA in MSI motherboards. Because my gigabyte 5700 xt did the exact same when I installed a new RGB strip kit the VGA light stayed lit and PC won't boot. Apparently the GPU died due to shorting out somehow (as I was told). Gigabyte however gave me a replacement.

Edit: I've noticed the LED thing have been touched before by another member. So my bad. But if you have igpu with your CPU then you can connect video cable to motherboard in order to figure out if it's indeed the motherboard.

Unfortunately no, i dont have an igpu. Shoulsa bought one actually mightv been a cheaper option. Ty for the help.
Currently waiting for the motherboard

nerodero

Prominent
Jun 18, 2021

Hey mate, new motherboard arrived. Unfortunately my GPU didnt work im the mew mobo; seems like the gpu did die. I got a gpu coming in soon today just to make sure, but im pretty sure its dead. Thank you for helping though