[SOLVED] Anything else I should try before replacing motherboard?

klapaucius

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
X299 PC worked for 1 1/2 years now completely dead. No lights or fans or anything at button push. I have:

1. Verified case switch works
  2. PSU passes the paperclip test and voltages look okay
  3. Tried with only 1 stick of memory in each slot
Just hoping it isn't the CPU, those 18-cores are expensive.

Solution
You still suspect the PSU even if it works with the paperclip? By work I mean all the lights in the case turned on, and you can hear the PSU fan going. And I measured +3.3V, +5V, and +12V on the 24-pin connector with a voltmeter.

I don't have another supply to use, so would have to buy one...
The paper clip test is very limited in its usefulness. It cannot show a psu works, it can only show you when a psu is completely dead/unresponsive. You don’t know if the psu can deliver the correct voltages under operating load, a no/minimal load reading isn’t conclusive. I’m not saying the problem is the psu but you cannot rule it out using the paper clip test.
D

Deleted member 362816

If the cpu was dead the motherboard would most likely still try to boot. I would try to borrow another psu and see if that is the issue.

klapaucius

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
If the cpu was dead the motherboard would most likely still try to boot. I would try to borrow another psu and see if that is the issue.
You still suspect the PSU even if it works with the paperclip? By work I mean all the lights in the case turned on, and you can hear the PSU fan going. And I measured +3.3V, +5V, and +12V on the 24-pin connector with a voltmeter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 362816

With what you are explaining for symptoms it could be a dead cpu, motherboard or psu issue. Pretty hard to troubleshoot any of these without having a spare around to test each part.

Reactions: Phaaze88

The paper clip test is very limited in its usefulness. It cannot show a psu works, it can only show you when a psu is completely dead/unresponsive. You don’t know if the psu can deliver the correct voltages under operating load, a no/minimal load reading isn’t conclusive. I’m not saying the problem is the psu but you cannot rule it out using the paper clip test.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

TRENDING THREADS