[SOLVED] Anything I should change on my build

Aug 19, 2019
Hi All,

I am new here and this is my first build. Wanted to get some feedback and see if there is anything I should change on this build.

I9 9900k (orignally bought the i7 8900k and later decided to swap it for i9)
Asus Prime Z390-A
WD Black SN750 1TB
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB @3200MHz
NZXT H500
NZXT Kraken X62
EVGA SuperNOVA 650
ASUS GTX 960 (Swapping in an RTX 2080 Super soon)

Thanks

Solution
Assuming that this meant primarily for gaming:

What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

The i9-9900k is a waste of money. It's base clock is the same as an i7-9700k, and boost clocks are only 100Mhz more than the 9700k. Save yourself over $100 and get the i7-9700k instead.

32GB is overkill, you only need 16GB. Get a 2x8GB kit. I would also suggest that, if slower RAM is significantly cheaper, go with somewhat slower RAM. Intel doesn't get nearly as much benefit from faster RAM as Ryzen does.
Nothing much I'd change in that personally. One you get the 2080 Super it'll make a beast of a PC! If the RAM is above CAS Latency 17, then you could look into changing it for 17 or below, just to make sure you don't loose out on performance in that department. Other than that, vey good.

Reactions: quicks6
Aug 19, 2019
Nothing much I'd change in that personally. One you get the 2080 Super it'll make a beast of a PC! If the RAM is above CAS Latency 17, then you could look into changing it for 17 or below, just to make sure you don't loose out on performance in that department. Other than that, vey good.
Im not sure what that means? How would I know. I would rather change it now then later as I can still return parts.

Yep that is it! 16 is good.

Some tips for you... Have you enabled XMP in the BIOS? If not, you should do so, as it makes the RAM run at advertised speed (in your case, 3200MHz), rather than default 2133MHz. You can do this by looking for XMP in the overclocking section of the BIOS.
Also, if the RAM is 2 sticks, then make sure they are in slot 2 and 4 (so it goes empty, RAM, empty RAM). This means the RAM will run in dual channel mode, effectively doubling the bandwidth of data from the RAM to the CPU, increasing in-game FPS.
Lastly, if you ever need drivers for your PC, do not touch unofficial driver downloaders. Get them straight from the manufacturer's website.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

What is your monitor's resolution and refresh rate? Does it have FreeSync, GSync, or neither?

The i9-9900k is a waste of money. It's base clock is the same as an i7-9700k, and boost clocks are only 100Mhz more than the 9700k. Save yourself over $100 and get the i7-9700k instead.

32GB is overkill, you only need 16GB. Get a 2x8GB kit. I would also suggest that, if slower RAM is significantly cheaper, go with somewhat slower RAM. Intel doesn't get nearly as much benefit from faster RAM as Ryzen does.

Solution

techphantom

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
Agree with King's post.

You should also note that a single terabyte WD Black drive will probably not carry all your files.

You should probably get an SSD (Samsungs are currently the most popular, especially M.2's) to hold the operating system and games, since SSDs are much faster than hard drives.

A Barracuda or a WD Blue 2 Terabyte would be fit.

I'd look out for the PSU, since all these heavy components, with the coming RTX 2080 are going to take a lot of power.

Agree with King's post.

You should also note that a single terabyte WD Black drive will probably not carry all your files.

You should probably get an SSD (Samsungs are currently the most popular, especially M.2's) to hold the operating system and games, since SSDs are much faster than hard drives.

A Barracuda or a WD Blue 2 Terabyte would be fit.

I'd look out for the PSU, since all these heavy components, with the coming RTX 2080 are going to take a lot of power.
WD Black is an NVMe SSD. And size required only depends on how much needs to be stored... Seeming as this is a high budget system, there isn't much point in them considering an HDD for second storage when it can be, and is, all SSD.

Aug 19, 2019

My logic with the 9700 vs 9900 was based off a sale for the 9900 it made the price difference about $70. the 32GB of ram...I just wanted to have the four sticks lol.