Question Anything to improve about this build??

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/MB8Kcb
i know the psu might be a little overkill but im willing to spend some extra bucks to be able to upgrade in the future.
looks dont matter at all its gonna be standing beneath the desk and no one is gonna look at it.
everything has to be shipped to the netherlands, budget is €720, im wondering if there are things i could improve here.

Hey there,

If your building a budget gaming machine, then it's not bad.

You can of course improve the performance, with a little extra spend. Whether that suits you or not, well, I can't say.

Two things I'd change:

1. HDD for boot drive is horrible. Get a 512 GB SSD (sata or NVMe)

2. The GPU is a couple of gen old, and is just decent enough for 1080p gaming, with setting dialled back. You could get a RX590 8Gb, or 1660 to give you a bigger bump in FPS. The 1650 is just entry level. Edit: I realise these GPU's are from the same older gen, but are more powerful and kick ass at 1080p.

Last edited:
If you could stretch the budget, this would be much better:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€115.00 @ Azerty)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€99.00 @ Azerty)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€65.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€72.78 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (€269.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (€74.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Power Supply: EVGA GQ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€83.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Total: €780.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-26 15:39 CEST+0200

Edited to take out aftermarket cooler.

Here's a review of the 12100/F. It's a little gaming monster: Intel Core i3-12100 Review: The Little Gaming Giant | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/Httgzf
this is what i ca
If you could stretch the budget, this would be much better:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (€115.00 @ Azerty)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B660M DS3H DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (€99.00 @ Azerty)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€65.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (€72.78 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card (€269.00 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case (€74.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Power Supply: EVGA GQ 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€83.90 @ Amazon Netherlands)
Total: €780.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-06-26 15:39 CEST+0200

Edited to take out aftermarket cooler.

Here's a review of the 12100/F. It's a little gaming monster: Intel Core i3-12100 Review: The Little Gaming Giant | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)
780 bucks is a bit too much, this is what i came up with.
do you think this could work?

this is what i ca

780 bucks is a bit too much, this is what i came up with.
do you think this could work?
Absolutely.

In terms of SATA V NVMe, NVMe are much faster. But will you notice the difference? IMO, yes. I can clearly see a difference between both.

Both drives offer faster load times, snappier windows environment. It's just the NMVe is typically x4/x5 the speed of a SATA 6gb drive. The SATA drives are cheaper, and have high capacity for a relatively low price.

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Absolutely.

In terms of SATA V NVMe, NVMe are much faster. But will you notice the difference? IMO, yes. I can clearly see a difference between both.

Both drives offer faster load times, snappier windows environment. It's just the NMVe is typically x4/x5 the speed of a SATA 6gb drive. The SATA drives are cheaper, and have high capacity for a relatively low price.
wait im confused i thought i had to grab the sata drive cuz its faster, the nvme is 13 euro cheaper than the other one, i didnt pick it cause i thought it was faster, i picked it because it was cheaper.

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Work? Yes.

The best you can do? Probably not.

The PNY drive is more expensive than the Kingston NVMe you had earlier.

I am suspicious of the Sharkoon power supply.

What PSUs under 600 watts can you find by:

Corsair

Seasonic

Superflower

EVGA
yea i didnt know nvme was actually faster, i'll definietly grab it instead since its the cheapest 500gb ssd i can find.
SeaSonic FOCUS GX is the cheapest of the brands you mentioned but its €28 more than the sharkoon psu, i could go down to silver or bronze, then the
SeaSonic B12 BC would be my best pick for only €48.
putting all that in the list would make the build €708 which is a nice price.
https://nl.pcpartpicker.com/list/ZgJ8jZ

yea i didnt know nvme was actually faster, i'll definietly grab it instead since its the cheapest 500gb ssd i can find.
SeaSonic FOCUS GX is the cheapest of the brands you mentioned but its €28 more than the sharkoon psu, i could go down to silver or bronze, then the
SeaSonic B12 BC would be my best pick for only €48.

Please, don't skimp out on THE most important component in your build. Always get a good PSU. Gold rated, made with quality Jap capacitors. Edit: They will have 7-10 year warranties, and last you from build to build.

Corsair RMx/RMi/RM/TXM, Seasonic Focus/Gold, EVGA G2/GQ/G6, Leadex Superflower III are examples.

Reactions: John Chesterfield

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Please, don't skimp out on THE most important component in your build. Always get a good PSU. Gold rated, made with quality Jap capacitors. Edit: They will have 7-10 year warranties, and last you from build to build.

Corsair RMx/RMi/RM/TXM, Seasonic Focus/Gold, EVGA G2/GQ/G6, Leadex Superflower III are examples.
Corsair TXM (2021) would this psu work? i know voltage might be a bit overkill but its the same price as the 500w versions of the other brands, its also semi modular which is a welcome feature.

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
What is the purpose of this PC.....the top 3 or 4 things you will be doing with it?
Mainly minecraft, modded and vanilla and some shaders aswell.
and in case i get bored of minecraft i wanna be able to play some other games at 60 fps.
im never gonna use it for any type of video or photo editing.