mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
I'm looking to build a 1080p gaming (+ productivity) PC for AAA games (@ Medium settings). I'm getting the following parts for just over £500. I'll also be getting a GTX 1650 GPU later. How is this configuration for the price? I was gonna go for Ryzen 5 3600 but cost is higher than the Intel surprisingly. I'd appreciate your valuable feedback. TIA.

Intel i5 10500
Gigabyte B460M Aorus Pro
Ballistix 2x8GB 3000mhz RAM
Crucial M.2 NVME 500GB SSD
WD Blue 7200rpm1TB HDD
Corsair CX450 450W 80+ Bronze
Corsair Spec-05 Mid Tower
Mini Wifi Adapter
ViewSonic 24" 144hz 1ms Monitor
GTX 1650 GPU (to be purchased later).

Solution
You can build as is, but I have some thoughts:

1. Your motherboard only supports ram up to 2666 speed. 3000 speed will work though.

2. Gaming performance depends mostly on the performance of the graphics card.
The GTX1650 is decent.

3. When buying new, I would buy current gen products.
11th gen intel will have a better single thread performance vs. 10 by perhaps 19%.
That is most important for games.
A I5-11400 will be stronger than a 10500.
I don't know your prices, but 11400 is an outstanding gamer.
Here is a review:
Look at the 10 game averages.

4. I would suggest deferring on the HDD and buy a 1tb ssd instead.
You can always add storage later.
My...

mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
This catches my attention.

450W is rather low for a gaming computer.

Thanks for the responds! I was a little worried myself about that too but then I've seen people saying that's a good PSU and will be fine for 1650 just like @Phillip Corcoran mentioned. I however have another option for the same price Corsair VS550 550w but then it's non modular. I don't plan to get any high end gpu so should I worry about 450w or should I go with the vs550. Thank you !

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the responds! I was a little worried myself about that too but then I've seen people saying that's a good PSU and will be fine for 1650 just like @Phillip Corcoran mentioned. I however have another option for the same price Corsair VS550 550w but then it's non modular. I don't plan to get any high end gpu so should I worry about 450w or should I go with the vs550. Thank you !
The CX 450 is better quality and plenty for the parts your going to use.

With what you have listed it's about a 200 watt PC.

Reactions: mukoolhasan

mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Depending on what you do, you may find yourself wanting for more disk space soon - Current games could easily take close to 100GB installed, each.

500gb SSD + 1TB HDD not enough? :O I usually play one game till I loose interest and then move to the next one! Lol and for my other tasks I wouldn't require anything more atm. But sure I can always add more storage if needed!

Reactions: JWNoctis

1. Your motherboard only supports ram up to 2666 speed. 3000 speed will work though.

The GTX1650 is decent.

11th gen intel will have a better single thread performance vs. 10 by perhaps 19%.
Here is a review:

My preferred ssd would be samsung because of performance and reliability.
Samsung 1tb 980 m.2 pcie should work well.

5. Consider a quality psu as a long term investment. Look for one with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
A quality unit like a 650w seasonic focus can handle a card as good as a 3070.
Typically, 750w does not cost much more.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Solution

mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018

The GTX1650 is decent.

Here is a review:

My preferred ssd would be samsung because of performance and reliability.
Samsung 1tb 980 m.2 pcie should work well.

5. Consider a quality psu as a long term investment. Look for one with a 7 to 10 year warranty.

I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler, quieter, and more efficiently in the middle third of it's range.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
A quality unit like a 650w seasonic focus can handle a card as good as a 3070.
Typically, 750w does not cost much more.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Thank you so much for the good suggestions. Although they all make sense but I'm actually tight with the money. The money I spent on those parts were my initial budget and now left with GPU which I'm hoping to get for around £200ish.
According to the website, this motherboard supports 2933mhz which is why I went for 3000mhz.
If budget wasn't the issue I'd definitely go for 11th gen processor and larger SSD and PSU. I've tried to get the best valued components n those were on sale. I however might change the 450w PSU to a better 550w but I really don't plan to get any high end GPU, even if I do, the max I'd go would be 1070. So PSU might be a little concerning for me. Of course this opened my mind to think about it a little so thank yous!

mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Read the motherboard specs.
2966 is supported on i7 and i9, 2666 is supported on i3 or i5
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B460M-AORUS-PRO-rev-10/sp#sp

Not a problem, Intel does not depend on ram speed.

It is usually best to ask for opinions BEFORE you buy.

My bad, I read it wrong then. Thank you so much. The 3000mhz were cheaper than the 2660 version so I'd probably buy this anyway. I'm hoping it won't be a problem since MB can detect the RAM speed and set it to the right mhz and/or I can change it too right?
I agree thus this post. I've bought them on sale but have all the parts on hold till I'm sure, which is why I needed the opinions from here before I confirm and it definitely cleared few things up!

My bad, I read it wrong then. Thank you so much. The 3000mhz were cheaper than the 2660 version so I'd probably buy this anyway. I'm hoping it won't be a problem since MB can detect the RAM speed and set it to the right mhz and/or I can change it too right?
I agree thus this post. I've bought them on sale but have all the parts on hold till I'm sure, which is why I needed the opinions from here before I confirm and it definitely cleared few things up!

Its a solid build, the i5 is a good (necessary) choice over ryzen irregardless of price because you're going to need those integrated graphics for a while.

Assuming that case is around £50 there are better choices for similar money.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/dee...s-3x-120mm-tri-colour-led-fans-mesh-top-front

That's a cracking deal for £30, it's a solid little case with very good preinstalled cooling so if you're in a tight budget will pay dividends towards buying a gpu.

You are good.
At post time, the ram will run at default speeds, probably 2133.
That lets you see the bios so you can select a higher supported speed.
In terms of actual app or game performance,
speed does not matter to Intel processors
(unless you are using integrated graphics)

Reactions: mukoolhasan

mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
Its a solid build, the i5 is a good (necessary) choice over ryzen irregardless of price because you're going to need those integrated graphics for a while.

Assuming that case is around £50 there are better choices for similar money.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/dee...s-3x-120mm-tri-colour-led-fans-mesh-top-front

That's a cracking deal for £30, it's a solid little case with very good preinstalled cooling so if you're in a tight budget will pay dividends towards buying a gpu.

Thank you. Yea i5 was over £40 less than R5 3600 so it was a easy choice to make by my wallet lol. And damn I do like this case, the fan would definitely save some money. The Corsair is also £30 but it comes with a single fan installed!

Regarding GPU, it's really hard to find a decent one atm but I've the ASUS Phoenix GTX 1650 OC available to me for £160. Is this worth it? I'm looking to play AAA games on medium 1080p settings.

mukoolhasan

Reputable
Feb 23, 2018
You are good.
At post time, the ram will run at default speeds, probably 2133.
That lets you see the bios so you can select a higher supported speed.
In terms of actual app or game performance,
speed does not matter to Intel processors
(unless you are using integrated graphics)
Thank you for clearing things up! Appreciate it!

Thank you. Yea i5 was over £40 less than R5 3600 so it was a easy choice to make by my wallet lol. And damn I do like this case, the fan would definitely save some money. The Corsair is also £30 but it comes with a single fan installed!

Regarding GPU, it's really hard to find a decent one atm but I've the ASUS Phoenix GTX 1650 OC available to me for £160. Is this worth it? I'm looking to play AAA games on medium 1080p settings.

I don't think the 1650 will quite live up to that expectation , maybe if you're happy with 30-40fps on more gpu dependant titles, stuff like cyberpunk and Assassins creed won't touch anywhere near 60fps with a 1650.

£160 would have been a terrible price 12 months ago, now its the norm at best.

The rrp of a 1650 super is only £150 and that is a way way better GPU but they're currently going for about £300 which is crazy money.

So you're stuck really on a budget build, it's a 1650 or nothing really.

It'll do the job as lond as you allow for it being quite literally the lowest end current model 'gaming' gpu there is.