Anyway to extend a wi-fi signal using RJ45?

Luke Winship

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014
Got a mini house about 60m from the main house and I'm looking to get a Wi-Fi signal inside the mini house, I've never really used a repeater or extender so my assumption is they use wireless already to extend the signal further, but I can't just plant one in the garden.

Any help appreciated, unsure on budget as it's for a friend

Solution

Nope don't buy that.

This vendor is outright telling lies....is likely too stupid to know better.

They says the cable is TIA/EIA: 568B.2 BUT the cat7 standard was never approved by any EIA/TIA group.

Next that standard says very clearly the wire must be 22-24 awg. This...
2 best options ... a wireless bridge (outdoor wifi devices that bridge the gap) or outdoor Ethernet cable from house to mini house and a wifi access point in the mini house. 60 meters is not that far ... you might be able to swing pseudo bridge with indoor devices if there are windows that face each other (line of sight).

You have electricity in the mini house? If not, it could limit your options.

There are two ways you could go about getting WiFi to the mini house.

1- You could use your existing electrical wiring (PoE) to extend your Wi-Fi Internet access to the mini house.
PoE uses two adapters. Connect one adapter to an available Ethernet port on your router and to a electrical outlet, then plug the other adapter with WiFi access to an electrical outlet in the mini house. Voilà!
PoE Wi-Fi adatpters

2- You could also connect an Ethernet cable to the an available Ethernet port on your router, and run the cable all the way to the mini house.then connect a wireless router to extend Wi-Fi coverage. If you need instructions to set it up post back here.

By the way there are outdoor weatherproof Wi-Fi repeaters (extenders) that you could plant on your garden. ;)

Luke Winship

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

2nd option seems most viable, we will have to go out to by the stuff needed but feel free to post the steps and I can come back to this when I get them, cheers!

Luke Winship

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah there's electricity, minimal electricity but that's a whole other problem. Can you link me to some decent access points? Cheers!

To use ethernet cable you will have to protect the cable. If the cable can be kept dry and mostly out of the sun you can use normal indoor cable....it is technically not rated to run outdoors. If you are planning to bury the cable you need special outdoor cable that is designed to not be damaged by the soil or sitting in water for longs times. Many times it is cheaper to use some very inexpensive tubing or conduit and then use indoor rated cable.

There a ton of access points out there ... price and features will determine which you get. For example:

Tp Link WA855RE - an extender with AP mode. $20. 2.4 GHz WiFi only.
Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite - I like the smoke detector style. $80. 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Read reviews and you will find something you like.

To start, get 225-275ft CAT5e Ethernet cable with RJ-45 terminals. Measure from the main router to the location where the second router will be placed.
You could get Cat5e outdoor waterproof Ethernet cable. Otherwise, you will need around 21 3/4" x 10' PVC pipes, and fittings (couplings and elbows) to connect them depending of the layout. If you find belled pipes, where one end fits into the next pipe, you could save on fittings.
Get the cheapest PVC with the lowest PSI rating, since there is not pressure requirements. It should cost $2.50 or less per 10' feet pipe.
Also get cement and primer to seal the joints to prevent water and soil getting into the pipe. After you are done installing the pipe and wire, seal each end with silicone to prevent bugs, water, moisture entering the pipe.

Lots less trouble to use the cheap 1/2 drip irrigation tubing. You can get 250ft rolls so no seams for less than $25 at most home improvement stores. Does not protect as well as hard pipe but no gluing or heat bending strange turns

Luke Winship

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Had a look at both so thanks for that! The Ubiquiti does look nice but I feel like cheaper will be better for me as there is a lot of work needing to be done so thanks for that!

Luke Winship

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Think I'll just get an outdoor cable as it seems to be easier, thanks!

Luke Winship

Reputable
Jul 20, 2014

Nope don't buy that.

This vendor is outright telling lies....is likely too stupid to know better.

They says the cable is TIA/EIA: 568B.2 BUT the cat7 standard was never approved by any EIA/TIA group.

Next that standard says very clearly the wire must be 22-24 awg. This wire is 32AWG. Note this is for cat5e and cat6a cat7 has a different standard but uses the same wire sizes.

So you have 2 large red flags buying from this vendor.

Key here is pure copper wire and wire size between 22-24. You only need cat5e to run gigabit speeds. I doubt you have 10g equipment but if you do the best option is to use cat6a cable. Cat7 likely is to be a dead standard since it was only approved by 2 of the 3 standards groups. They are working on something new that likely will be called cat8 that is suppose to run 100gbit....long way off though it appears.

Solution