[SOLVED] Anyway to plug a J_1394 cable into a new mobo without the J_1394 header?

Jun 23, 2020
I recently got around to finishing one of my little side projects which I've been putting off for years due to University. Now that I had time, I finally got around to it.

So my plan was a partial rebuild of a 2009 Alienware Area 51 desktop, which had a dead mobo. I took a few weeks to compile a parts list, ensured they would play well together, then proceeded to order them.

Everything was going fine until I tried installing the new mobo into the old chassis. I realized then that the new mobo did not have a J_1394 header. In truth, I didn't notice it was a J_1394 plug until I uninstalled it, as they were visually identical to a standard USB header.

So my issue now is that the J_1394 plug in the old chassis is connected to the I/O board on front of the chassis. I.E. The desktop won't be working without said wire. Are there any adapters or ports I could use as alternatives?

I really like the aesthethiccs of the case, which is the whole reason for the rebuild.

Mobo: MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
Chassis: Alienware Area 51 ALX (2009/10)

Solution
I recently got around to finishing one of my little side projects which I've been putting off for years due to University. Now that I had time, I finally got around to it.

So my plan was a partial rebuild of a 2009 Alienware Area 51 desktop, which had a dead mobo. I took a few weeks to compile a parts list, ensured they would play well together, then proceeded to order them.

Everything was going fine until I tried installing the new mobo into the old chassis. I realized then that the new mobo did not have a J_1394 header. In truth, I didn't notice it was a J_1394 plug until I uninstalled it, as they were visually identical to a standard USB header.

So my issue now is that the J_1394 plug in the old chassis is connected to the...

So my issue now is that the J_1394 plug in the old chassis is connected to the I/O board on front of the chassis. I.E. The desktop won't be working without said wire. Are there any adapters or ports I could use as alternatives?

I really like the aesthethiccs of the case, which is the whole reason for the rebuild.

Mobo: MSI Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
Chassis: Alienware Area 51 ALX (2009/10)
That's a Firewire connector, a cousin of USB developed at about same time (early 1990s). I see no reason why computer wouldn't run without it. Don't connect it's cable or any other cable to it's header.

Solution