[SOLVED] anyway to remove folders from start menu but keep the program ?

onemoretimex

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2015
Im looking to clean up my start menu and I hate seeing those folders instead of the actual program shortcut itself.

I know the folders are good for keeping all related links to the program but a lot of them just have the actual program exe shortcut in them alone.

Is there a way to remove all the folders and keep the app inside it in the start menu ?

Solution
Non-Store Start Menu is stored at two locations:
  • C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
  • C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
Feel free to mess with them anyway you want. Make a copy somewhere safe if you de-clutter too much ;)
Feel free to mess with them anyway you want. Make a copy somewhere safe if you de-clutter too much ;)

Reactions: Barty1884
Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Well look at that! Learn something new every day.

@onemoretimex - as above (once you enable "show hidden files, folders and drives") you can pull the shortcuts out of folders and they'll appear properly in the start menu.

gardenman

Splendid
Tip: Right click on a shortcut and choose More -> Open File location. This opens the folder where the shortcut is.

You can then press the "Up Arrow" button to go down a folder. As stated above, the start menu is in multiple places so you may not see everything in a single folder. That's because some shortcuts are made for a single user, while others are made for all users.

Reactions: Alabalcho