Anyway to repair a "damaged" fujitsu HDD?

G

I have an old fujitsu HDD which when it worked was a great drive, but then (sod's law) it broke. I could no longer boot from it and bought a new one. After installing my new HDD i decided to try and retrieve some of my more important files from my disk, the disk was detected by the BIOS and i booted with it as a secondary master. Now when I started windows, I was able to access everything, so i deltree ed windows and rescued my old files. I then decided to format the drive and see if i could use it for the extra storage. It formatted well and I now had a drive. I decided to scan disk just to verify and so did a full scan. The scan took 14 hours to finish and it had tens of thousands of errors on it. I presume that there is something physically wrong with the drive and the drive surface (possibly caused by a fauly PSU). My question is is there anyway of fixing this drive, so i could use it.
Many thanks :)
John

If God didn't want us to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat?!

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I don't think there is anyway to fix physical problems with hard drives - they are designed and manufactured in air 1,000,000 times cleaner than the air you're breathing, because the read/write heads have to be EXACT with the drive platter. If it's off by 1/1,000th of an inch it will screw up. So I'm guessing the problem is inside the hard drive (stepper motor, platters, whatever) so I would say no there is no way to repair it. If it's an outside problem (like something on the PCB), then it probably could be repaired. Don't ask me how....

G

You might be able to send it in to the manufacturer and have them fix it (for free if under warrantee), or have a professional do it at a computer shop, but you are better off buying a new one seeing as how cheap they are nowdays. The price to fix it would hardly justify the decision not to buy a new one.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Waht kind of errors? The only damage that can't be repaired in a running dirve is missing sectors, which indicate bad platters (surface deterioration).

Suicide is painless...........

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Waht kind of errors? The only damage that can't be repaired in a running drive is missing sectors, which indicate bad platters (surface deterioration).

Suicide is painless...........

G

I might also add that if you open up the drive, you will almost certainly void the warranty. Hard drives aren't meant to be worked on by anybody but a professional, and most manufacturers intentionally make it very difficult to get inside.

mceng

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Don't bother attempting - it's not worth it - probably wouldnt be able to do it anyway, and even if you did, who's to say it wouldnt go again anyway?

Save yourself time and frustration and just buy another... :)

G

Thanks for the replies guys. I think i will open it up. Its useless and has been sitting on my shelf for about a year now. Always wondered if a platter would make a good frisby....
Thanks again

If God didn't want us to eat animals then why did he make them out of meat?!