[SOLVED] AOC 2790WG5 displaying black bars that I can't seem to remove

Jun 12, 2019
Greetings,

A few days ago I got my AOC 2790WG5 but as you can see from the screenshots there's these annoying small black bars that I can't seem to get away. I've tried changing the aspect ratio, resolutions, make it so it's not aspect ratio but fills up etc. Nothing seems to do the trick, I've searched a bit online after that and found some interesting stuff about over- and underscan but that was very much about amd and not nvidea (my gpu is a nvidea GTX660ti). If someone would be kind enough to guide me through this and help me out it would mean the world.

Some additional info that might be helpful:
  • This screen is connected through an hdmi port
  • there is a second screen on my right connected through a dvi to vga
  • my gpu is nvidia GTX660ti
  • yes I have the latest monitor drivers and yes I have the latest gpu drivers.

these two pics should help explain what I mean:

kkdA5VQ.jpg
t7pFr9L.jpg

Solution
These are not black bars. "Frameless" monitors are not without a black edge/bazel, they just don't have a plastic cover over the edge, which looks a bit better. Monitors can't display in that black edge area.

You need to understand how it all comes together.
The biggest factor to bezel of LCD panels is what the panels are actually made of. Many people would think they are a single layer of rigid glass and you can simply forgo the bezel and have a sharp glass edge.
Well unfortunately LCD panels consist of more than a single layer and non of those layers is glass. The layers are not bonded by an adhesive glue as you can imagine how terrible would turn out. They must be secured around the edges similar to how windows have...
These are not black bars. "Frameless" monitors are not without a black edge/bazel, they just don't have a plastic cover over the edge, which looks a bit better. Monitors can't display in that black edge area.

You need to understand how it all comes together.
The biggest factor to bezel of LCD panels is what the panels are actually made of. Many people would think they are a single layer of rigid glass and you can simply forgo the bezel and have a sharp glass edge.
Well unfortunately LCD panels consist of more than a single layer and non of those layers is glass. The layers are not bonded by an adhesive glue as you can imagine how terrible would turn out. They must be secured around the edges similar to how windows have frames.
Monitors have standards similar to computers which uses cables to connect various components. Thats because not every manufacturer makes their own panels. There is usually a PCB around the edge of the panel. Remember LCD panels have layers, if you have to get electricity to a middle layer you need to go through the edges.
Manufacturers that make their own panels like samsung can do a low profile design to minimize the bezel but they really can't eliminate it.

Solution