Question AOC Agon vs ASUS RoG Swift

Jan 28, 2019
Looking for some input on which of these two monitors are better.
For reference, this monitor will be the centerpiece for my two Dell S2716DG

Links are to displayspecifications.com (prices are from new off amazon)
ASUS RoG Swift PG27VQ -- ~$740
or
AOC Agon AG273QCG -- ~$650

They are both 27" 16:9 curved gaming monitors
165hz refresh rate
1ms (minimum) response time
Both are TN monitors and have RGB lighting behind the monitor.
They also both have Nvidia G-Sync

Differences I see on displayspecifications.com:
  • AOC 'average' response time is 4ms (ASUS is 5ms)
  • AOC input lag is 4ms (ASUS is 15ms)
    • Will either of the above even be noticeable?
  • ASUS has Nvidia 3D Vision (AOC does not)
    • Is 3D Vision even good? I mean it sounds cool, but the list of supported games seems thin
  • AOC has built in speakers (ASUS does not)
    • I have a sound bar, so I don't need the speaker.
    • I could use software to add the built-in speakers to audio out along with my soundbar (maybe create more surround?)
    • would allow me to leave soundbar at home if I take my computer somewhere.
  • ASUS RGB lighting looks much cooler (it also has lighting pointed down towards the desk)

Overall the biggest difference I think there is, is the input lag from 4ms (AOC) to 15ms (ASUS)

If that really is not a big difference, then what are your opinions?
I know nothing about AOC quality, I have had an ASUS motherboard and have seen some higher end ASUS Laptops that have seemed very high in quality.

Does AOC put out quality products?

Is it worth saving myself ~$100 and purchasing the AOC (biggest loss is really just the cooler lighting and imo useless 3D Vision)
or
Is it worth spending the extra ~$100 to purchase a product from a company I know puts out quality products?

michaelthepro

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
It is always good to purchase a good product that fits in your mind and requirements as well.

In terms of specifications, the AOC monitor possesses slightly better innards than the ASUS one. To a clean eye, the difference won't be visible although, there are a few differences. The first is the input lag, and it matters the most while playing competitive games. So, if you're into that, definitely the AOC monitor will be better for you. The second is 3D support which ASUS Rog monitor possesses which is still kind of in an immature state, and I would not recommend you to get in that until and unless you have a CPU that is powerful enough to run such things. So, not worth to spend those extra $100 according to me.

Reactions: _raehln_
Jan 28, 2019
It is always good to purchase a good product that fits in your mind and requirements as well.

In terms of specifications, the AOC monitor possesses slightly better innards than the ASUS one. To a clean eye, the difference won't be visible although, there are a few differences. The first is the input lag, and it matters the most while playing competitive games. So, if you're into that, definitely the AOC monitor will be better for you. The second is 3D support which ASUS Rog monitor possesses which is still kind of in an immature state, and I would not recommend you to get in that until and unless you have a CPU that is powerful enough to run such things. So, not worth to spend those extra $100 according to me.

I don't really play competitive games, or at least I don't play competitively.

Closest would be pvp/gvg in guild wars 2
(though tbh haven't played in months)

So I am assuming the 15ms input lag vs 4ms won't make a difference.

For the 3d Vision, I may have the power to run it (or at least when my build is final).

When complete my build will have an i9-9900k and an RTX 2080ti. Both will be cooled with liquid AIO with 240mm rads.

Is that enough to run 3d vision?
Would an i7-8700k be enough?

What do you think 3d Vision support will look like in a year or 2?

Back to my main question, disregarding input lag difference and 3d vision the monitors are essentially the same.

What is your opinion on build quality between AOC and ASUS?

michaelthepro

Commendable
Dec 17, 2016
I personally have used ASUS products, and my colleagues have also been using without any problem, but the thing is I have never used their gaming products. Although I have read reviews about them, they are excellent in terms of performance and overall usability.

I don't think so build quality matter here much, all that matters is performance and colors. Most of the monitors in the market are build with the same hard-plastic; the differences among them are of design and ergonomics.

Moreover, I would also suggest you rethink your considerations; I see ASUS ROG PG279Q as a much better option. (Value for money)

You can read the review here if you want to. It's by Rtings.com

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-pg279q

ASUS ROG PG279Q is a much better option according to me. It is backed by an IPS panel instead of TN and is also priced comparatively lower. I assume that you know the difference between IPS and TN. You will have much better viewing angles and colors than on the ASUS RoG Swift PG27VQ.