[SOLVED] AOC CU34G2X vs Hisense 55u7a

Sep 30, 2020
I have NEVER owned a gaming monitor. For the last decase I've just been gaming on 1080p televisions. A few years ago I got a Hisense 4k 60hz TV which once again doubles as my gaming monitor. I think it has like a 30ms response time. Now that I'm more into gaming and have a 3080 on the way, I'm thinking of higher refresh rates. At first I decided 60hz for 4k ultra is probably fine and I'll just stick with my tv, but then I started noticing a smear when objects move, especially against dark backgrounds. Like check the trail when I move the sword View: https://imgur.com/MNQlqCz

Otherwise I've been impressed with the picture quality, but I can only compare it to my previous tv. I have no idea what a good a monitor looks like compared to my tv. I don't have any shops here where I can go in and see the quality myself, so my question is how would something like the AOC CU34G2X compare to my Hisense TV?

I understand the refresh rate is much higher but is picture quality as good or better, and would I get the same smear trail?

An OLED would be nice but waaaay too expensive. Plenty of AOC in stock atm and a good price.

Solution
I have NEVER owned a gaming monitor. For the last decase I've just been gaming on 1080p televisions. A few years ago I got a Hisense 4k 60hz TV which once again doubles as my gaming monitor. I think it has like a 30ms response time. Now that I'm more into gaming and have a 3080 on the way, I'm thinking of higher refresh rates. At first I decided 60hz for 4k ultra is probably fine and I'll just stick with my tv, but then I started noticing a smear when objects move, especially against dark backgrounds. Like check the trail when I move the sword View: https://imgur.com/MNQlqCz

Otherwise I've been impressed with the picture quality, but I can only compare it to my previous tv. I have no idea what a...

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Otherwise I've been impressed with the picture quality, but I can only compare it to my previous tv. I have no idea what a good a monitor looks like compared to my tv. I don't have any shops here where I can go in and see the quality myself, so my question is how would something like the AOC CU34G2X compare to my Hisense TV?

I understand the refresh rate is much higher but is picture quality as good or better, and would I get the same smear trail?

An OLED would be nice but waaaay too expensive. Plenty of AOC in stock atm and a good price.

Hi @BazL

1st off, Welcome to the forums!

The short answer is yes, you'll notice a difference. The AOC is an excellent monitor. I have a 32" curved 1440p, 1ms & 144hz monitor and the difference over even a quality 60hz TV/monitor is staggering to say the least.

If you are getting more into gaming, a quality monitor is an item you do not want to go cheap on. The same for a quality PSU. If you plan on getting a 3080, make sure you have a good quality PSU supplying it power.

On a side note - Speaking of the 3080, make sure you get a 3080 with a minimum a 2 sets of 10 MLCCs and not the cheaper POSCAPs. (ASUS for example only uses MLCC's for all 6 sets which is excellent)

Hisense makes a good TV, but like every brand, some models are better than others. Some TV's may show movies & shows in excellent detail, but offer poor quality when used for gaming. Overall your 55u7a got good marks, Do you have the Game Mode on? Without it, your looking at a response time of 47.6ms but with game mode on, it drops it down to 30.9ms. Are you connecting via HDMI? 1.4 or 2.0 cable used? 30hz @ 1.4 & 60hz with a 2.0 cable.

Last edited:
Reactions: BazL
Solution
Sep 30, 2020
Hi @BazL

1st off, Welcome to the forums!

The short answer is yes, you'll notice a difference. The AOC is an excellent monitor. I have a 32" curved 1440p, 1ms & 144hz monitor and the difference over even a quality 60hz TV/monitor is staggering to say the least.

If you are getting more into gaming, a quality monitor is an item you do not want to go cheap on. The same for a quality PSU. If you plan on getting a 3080, make sure you have a good quality PSU supplying it power.

On a side note - Speaking of the 3080, make sure you get a 3080 with a minimum a 2 sets of 10 MLCCs and not the cheaper POSCAPs. (ASUS for example only uses MLCC's for all 6 sets which is excellent)

Hisense makes a good TV, but like every brand, some models are better than others. Some TV's may show movies & shows in excellent detail, but offer poor quality when used for gaming. Overall your 55u7a got good marks, Do you have the Game Mode on? Without it, your looking at a response time of 47.6ms but with game mode on, it drops it down to 30.9ms. Are you connecting via HDMI? 1.4 or 2.0 cable used? 30hz @ 1.4 & 60hz with a 2.0 cable.

Hey, thanks!

Yeah its actually a whole new build I'm getting, just waiting on the 3080 to arrive in my country. I've got the ROG Strix pre-ordered so hopefully before November rolls up.

I'm plugged into the HDMI 2.0 for 60hz and Game Mode was on when I took that video, although I tried all of the picture settings and motion smoothing settings as well, with GM off, and that smear is unfortunately always present. Far worse if I turn the brightness up. Not really noticeable in games like DOOM, yet horribly noticeable in certain games and videos.

Hmm the AOC is starting to sound more and more appealing. Thanks for the response.

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED
Hmm the AOC is starting to sound more and more appealing. Thanks for the response.

Here is a review on Toms for this monitor. :)

Tom's Verdict-at-a-glance

"The AOC CU34G2X isn’t the brightest monitor out there, but its high native contrast and super-accurate color deliver an excellent image. With 144 Hz and FreeSync and G-Sync (unofficially) with HDR, game performance is among the best we’ve seen at its current price point.
It’s definitely worth serious consideration for ultra-wide seekers."

Reactions: BazL