AOC G-Sync Monitor

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hello folks. I was thinking of purchasing this monitor;

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160226&cm_re=AOC-_-24-160-226-_-Product

I have a GTX 970 and will likely not be upgrading for a while. So I am assuming I should stick to 1080p.

Overall, should I get this now or wait until "Cyber Monday" or Boxing Day for a better price? (could I get lucky with a wicked sale on a 1440p monitor at 144 Hz, to better "future proof" myself?)

Does anyone have any personal experience with this monitor and/or g-sync? I have yet to witness the benefits of g-sync. I'm currently using a 7 year old 60 Hz LG monitor.

Thanks!

Solution
G-sync is useful when you can't achieve the refresh rate you want. Prevents tearing. So might not be a bad idea for you to pick out the monitor you want now, rather then spending money on an in-between.

27" 1440p 144hz monitors are quite expensive. I doubt they will be targeted much for special deals. Usually monitors that have been sitting around due to some competitive model being better are what get put on sale.

I find G-sync to be a bit of a distraction in FPS where you can't keep the frame rate high (for me that means games that don't support SLI) Those that do hover above 100FPS or so at maximum settings and that works fine. If you can achieve the desired frame rate, then G-sync and Freesync aren't that useful.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
G-sync is useful when you can't achieve the refresh rate you want. Prevents tearing. So might not be a bad idea for you to pick out the monitor you want now, rather then spending money on an in-between.

27" 1440p 144hz monitors are quite expensive. I doubt they will be targeted much for special deals. Usually monitors that have been sitting around due to some competitive model being better are what get put on sale.

I find G-sync to be a bit of a distraction in FPS where you can't keep the frame rate high (for me that means games that don't support SLI) Those that do hover above 100FPS or so at maximum settings and that works fine. If you can achieve the desired frame rate, then G-sync and Freesync aren't that useful.

Solution