AOC G2460PQU 24-inch 144 Hz Gaming Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

PandaV4

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
I have a AOC G2460P monitor myself, and a unpleasant surprise was that refresh rate of 144 Hz wasn't supported if using the DisplayPort connection. Does G2460PQU have the same limitations, or does it actually support 144 Hz over DisplayPort?

PandaV4

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
After some googling it seems that G2460PQU and G2460P is the same model. So beware if you want to use Displayport you wont be able to use the 144 Hz setting too! And this doesn't have any blur reduction either! It seems there is actually a new updated model to be released this month the AOC G2460PG. And it has nvidia g-sync support and blur reduction, and supports 144 over dIsplayport.
TL;DR: G2460PQU = DO NOT BUY, G2460PG = BUY.

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012

The PQU does accept 144 Hz over DisplayPort.

-Christian-

PandaV4

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014

A bit of googling brought up this article - http://pcmonitors.info/reviews/aoc-g2460pqu which says: " The image provided by DisplayPort is very similar on this monitor and it should also support the maximum (144Hz) refresh rate. Unfortunately that was not the case during our testing" and "The PC resolutions below this should feature 1920 x 1080 with 100Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz selectable – but that isn’t the case.". It seems there are different revisions of this monitor with the same model number. So if you buy one of those than you are practically gambling about the 144 Hz support.

npyrhone

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012
Will we ever see here a review of even one non-TN gaming monitor? The reduced color depth renders to image quality absolutely disgusting.

I will be the first one to congratulate you when you publish the next review of a monitor with a non-TN panel working over 60Hz.

3Dns

Distinguished
I have that model too and i buy it after a HP 23xi IPS LED Panel.
I understand that.
It doesnt worth 300€ for this model. All you need is 60hz and 24" Panel that you can take it with 120€. For me IPS Panels offer you way better colors so for me its better. Now if you want it for a GTX780 and above and you wanna play over 60FPS it may worth.
But have in mind that a normal monitor cost ~120$ and this model cost double. You can spend that money in other hardware areas like better GPU for example.

Adroid

Distinguished
Sorry, but I won't ever buy another 1080p "gaming" display. 1920x1200 is vastly superior for "gaming" screens, and it's a shame the industry has veered away from it.

I guess the thought process involves "and you can watch HD movies on it". Needless to say the 16:9 ratio is cheaper for manufacturers, and it's a great sales pitch. Well, give me a break. I got suckered into that line of thinking and I probably watched 2-3 movies on my "gaming" 23 inch monitor in 4-5 years.

Let's keep the movies where they belong in the living room and re-focus "gaming" screens where they should have never left - in the 16:10 aspect ratio.

alchemy69

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
If a game isn't enjoyable at 60Hz it isn't going to be enjoyable at 144Hz. And if it is enjoyable at 144, it still will be at 60. I've had some of the greatest fun over the last 30 years playing on tiny monitors, at low resolution and probably less than 30fps. I don't need the industry telling me what I need to have fun just so they can move more product.

PandaV4

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
As i said before the AOC G2460PG coming this month has G-sync support too. There really is no sense in buying the model in this review.

I kind of agree, but if you don't have a G-sync capable GPU or don't want to throw the required funds at a G-sync monitor, these 144Hz monitors are the best options for gaming and they're far less expensive than G-sync monitors.

Adroid

Distinguished
Well my dream monitor is a 1920x1200 24" AH-IPS with G-sync, no ghosting, and extremely fast response times. I would be willing to shell out extra money for something like this, but quite honestly manufacturers may never make one, ever.

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012

Yes. I just finished up testing of the Overlord Tempest X270OC. The article will publish soon. I'm also expecting a sample of the Asus PG278Q in the next few weeks. Please stay tuned!

-Christian-

ceberle

Contributing Editor
Editor
Dec 20, 2012

3D is not supported.

-Christian-

B to W ? No G to G ??????

Well my dream monitor is a 1920x1200 24" AH-IPS with G-sync, no ghosting, and extremely fast response times. I would be willing to shell out extra money for something like this, but quite honestly manufacturers may never make one, ever.

That should arrive right after the car that does 0 to 60 in 3.6 seconds, carries 9 people, gets 87 miles per gallon and is priced at $17,995 :)

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
I don't understand why people are complaining about "yet another 1080p TN monitor". This is still the more mainstream option for the greater majority of people out there. Toms has done a really good job of letting us know where it stands in comparison against its competitors. If it's not for you, then what is the point of bashing either THW or the manufacturer of the model that has been reviewed? Then sit back and wait for the review of the monitor that will eventually get your nod of approval, because I'll tell you right now - what most of you are "waiting for" will be DAMN EXPENSIVE.

Transsive

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
I love motion blur reduction (CRT-like strobbing). I have a lightboost2 monitor.
But I hate the requirement of running 120fps at 120hz.
Get any less than 120fps and the quality drops pretty noticeably (stuttering, double images). To the point where I prefer playing games like Civ 5 without motion blur reduction/strobbing.

But G-Sync should remove the 120/144fps requirement, so I'm quite excited about that.
Right now TN panels is where gaming is at, but hopefully not for much longer. I value motion clarity more than color accuracy and viewing angles.

Something is wrong if you have stutter (exception Watch Dogs) and double images just because the frame rate drops below 120fps. This is not an issue with 120Hz monitors. You should check out someone else's system using a 120Hz monitor and you'll see the stutter and double images are system-related.

Do you have these issues playing every game?

Adroid

Distinguished

Not going to argue that TN is where the industry has gone, largely to price and manufacturing costs - it's a win for the average consumer and the manufacturer in the same clean stroke.

That said, I submit this question to you : have you ever seen a good IPS screen next to a TN panel? There is no comparison... The IPS looks SO much better.

e-IPS screens can be had in the 200$ range. I bought a Dell Ultrasharp 23" model for around 230$ some years ago and it looks much better than any TN panel I have seen to date, and it's fast enough to game on. I even play CS:GO and similar and I'm able to be plenty competitive...

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
I have the G2460P and when trying to setup colors right, the red is lacking.
Especially if you follow this http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php.
I can get other colors to line-up nicely on the 2.2 mark but red is hard.

npyrhone

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2012

First of all, asking something new to be reviewed should not be taken as "complaining", let alone "bashing". The fact is that during the recent months several relatively similar TN-panel gaming monitors have been reviewed. Another fact is that there are several prominent IPS alternatives: QNIX QX2710 Evolution II 27", Yamakasi DS270 and Overlord Tempest X270OC to name a few.

These are not "damn expensive," either - they all can be found for below $400.

The future of gaming is not with TN panels. That much is obvious to anybody. Everybody knows roughly what TN-panels can (and cannot) achieve. I really do not mean to offend anyone, but this is honestly the reason why I also think that we could have done with one TN-panel review less and have an alternative panel type reviewed instead. This is also why I'm very happy to hear that Tempest will be reviewed soon.

Of course, there are tons of reviews of the aforementioned monitors around the net, but they tend to be very sloppy. The fact that I am so keen on having one reviewed here should be taken as a complement, rather than a complaint - that's because I really do respect the way THW does these reviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.